CD80 Rack Types

wolfman005

So I've done a lot of reading today about the CD80 racks and I'm not getting anywhere. Can someone explain what different versions of this rack there are? So far I've come across CD80, CD80 AE, CD80 SV, and CD80 Supervisor (which I think might be the SV just spelt out).

Are dimmer modules interchangeable through these 3/4 different types of racks?

Also, the theatre at which I work has 2 CD80 (not sure which one) touring racks and big ugly patch bays. Does anyone wanna give me a beginners guide to patching dimmers? I know the purpose but there are I think maybe 8 sections of cabling and then rows and columns of...something for them to plug into. Possibly ignition terminals? Right now I just wanna do a straight 1-1 patch so I can see what dimmer goes through what soca to what stage pin.

Thanks,
Aaron

Check out this link. It might be helpful.

http://www.strandarchive.co.uk/control/dimmers/

Regarding patch bays, check out the links for the Rolling Racks- there's mention of it, there. VERY simplified, it's a way to connect a specific dimmer to one or more receptacles. Flexible, in that you can set up prior to each use, to have multiple receptacles fed by one particular dimmer.

I believe(but am not certain) that the various types of racks related strictly to control electronics. If i'm remembering right, a CD-80 dimmer module is a CD-80 module...............

I believe(but am not certain) that the various types of racks related strictly to control electronics. If i'm remembering right, a CD-80 dimmer module is a CD-80 module...
From the wiki entry CD80 :
Dimmer modules for Original and AE racks are compatible with each other, but not with SV racks.
which came from either a long-term Strand employee or @DimmerDotCom.

-----
... Does anyone wanna give me a beginners guide to patching dimmers? I know the purpose but there are I think maybe 8 sections of cabling and then rows and columns of...something for them to plug into. Possibly ignition terminals? Right now I just wanna do a straight 1-1 patch so I can see what dimmer goes through what soca to what stage pin. ...
Are these "big ugly patch bays" part of the rolling rack(s) or external? I think we need pictures. But, as said above, the ability to inter-patch any (and multiple) multi-cable circuit to any dimmer adds flexibility, albeit also adds an extra step in the chain.

Last edited:
@abbyt that link was very helpful! Thanks!

@jstandfast and @derekleffew I think your right on the module part.

@derekleffew, they are internal but not well kept. Basically as far as I can tell they are laid out as follows:

Front Left (module side):

Screen with ground bus behind it.
DMX input
Modules
Closed panel I haven't opened yet. Possibly processor or fans.

Front Right:

Screen with cold bus behind it
Modules
Closed panel I haven't opened yet. Possibly processor or fans.

Back Left:
Patchbay
Possible soca outs. (It's in a dark corner. Moving it is in the plans)

Back Right:
Stage Pin outs
Soca Out
3 phase fused input panel

Here are the only pics I have as of now. I'll take more later when I can get back to the Ivory.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 148

Users who are viewing this thread

Back