Ceiling Mystery

LPdan

Another question out of curiosity.
Our theatre was built in 1925. If you go into the attic space above the house, there are small bags hanging from the ceiling rafters sporadically throughout. The bags look like they are made of cheesecloth or similar, smaller than the size of a fist. They appear to be empty.
I have no idea how long they have been there, although they appear quite old. Was wondering if anyone has ever seen this before. Maybe something to keep bugs away? Something superstitious?

Not helpful to your question, but I did a quick Google search and came across this 1926 military "magazine devoted to the activities of the chemical warfare service" including a report on exterminating an attic full of bats via cyanide gas. An interesting read.

I'don't know, but I'd bet on someone's idea of insect repellent of some kind.. And probably not the builder; some later occupant who's now long gone.

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like best guess is some defense against bugs. I guess I was hoping it would be superstition related. Oh well!

Is this like the bucket we had in our attic for a leak? We found it, after it rotted away to just the rim and handle...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back