Cell phone jammer on the same freq as wireless mics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They usually block the 800 MHz and up range. Why are you using a cell phone jammer? Some countries it's illegal in and in the US it's touch and go. So I'd recommend against it.

Why do you ask?

Active frequency jamming is illegal in the United States and many other countries.

Also, the 700MHz spectrum in the United States is reserved for emergency and public safety communications. If you have equipment operating in this frequency range, you may interfere with communications directly related to life safety and the FCC will want to talk to you (and give you some large fines).

Why do you ask?

Active frequency jamming is illegal in the United States and many other countries.

Also, the 700MHz spectrum in the United States is reserved for emergency and public safety communications. If you have equipment operating in this frequency range, you may interfere with communications directly related to life safety and the FCC will want to talk to you (and give you some large fines).

Well.....

So the facility I work at has REFUSED to replace their 700Mhz gear. Cell phone visibly and audibly interfere with this range (LITERALLY, I CAN SEE RF BARS during a call). So, if I get a cell phone jammer, will it block just the cells, or will it screw up my mics too??

Well.....

So the facility I work at has REFUSED to replace their 700Mhz gear. Cell phone visibly and audibly interfere with this range (LITERALLY, I CAN SEE RF BARS during a call). So, if I get a cell phone jammer, will it block just the cells, or will it screw up my mics too??
As has been stated, using a cell phone jammer is illegal and could land you on the receiving end of a six figure fine from the FCC.

I would suggest explaining that to your bosses. Take it up the food chain because very few facilities can afford a six figure fine over the cost of replacing the gear.

Cell phone jammers go beyond simply violating FCC regulations, they can violate international treaties.

Using a few wireless microphones in the 700MHz spectrum will get you a slap on the wrist compared to what you'll get if police, fire, and other public safety services are jammed as a result of your actions. That's an active attempt to inhibit their abilities to perform their duties which puts the lives of people in danger.

The reservation of this spectrum for public safety communications has been highly publicized for the last few years, so don't expect any mercy from the FCC if you're caught using 700MHz gear. "We didn't know" won't fly. Throw an active jammer into the mix and you're looking at some especially serious penalties.

Whatever you're using those 24 wireless systems for isn't worth it.

So could using all 24 of my illegal microphones...

From the Wikipedia,
For radio communications, it is illegal to operate, manufacture, import, or offer for sale, including advertising (Communications Act of 1934).[8] Blocking radio communications in public can carry fines of up to $11,000 or imprisonment of up to one year.[9] The Homeland Security Act of 2002 may override the Communications Act of 1934.[10]

So, if you are OK getting prosecuted in federal court for doing this and face possible jail time, go for it. I am sure the federal prison system needs some new sound people. Don't screw with the FCC, they will bite you and bite hard. The companies that bought up the 700mhz spectrum spent over 15 billion dollars, they are not about to let some theatre mess with their huge purchase.

Now that the severity of the situation has been pointed out, I'd like to float a reminder that discussion promoting illegal activities violates the ToS:

You consent, through your use of this service, that you will not use ControlBooth.com to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

If you want to continue to illegally operate your wireless systems, that's on you, but you won't find any advice here on how to violate the law.

Now if you want to figure out a way to convince your theatre to retire and replace their systems and want advice on what to buy for new equipment, that's something we'd be happy to talk to you about.

A cell phone jammer functions by broadcasting on the same frequencies but with a stronger signal than the nearest cell tower. The phone's programming dictates that it connects to the strongest tower(usually, ymmv) and when the jammer is the stronger signal, you trick the cell phone's programing into think. That's the basic concept, but in reality they are much more complicated.

At minimum, you are creating an impossible RF environment.

I wouldn't publicize that you intend to or currently are breaking any law on a public forum. If I had a nickle for everytime that an Emergency Responder of personnel member left midshow looking at their phone as they left...

Here's the thing as mentioned already you shouldn't be using one. To top that off you shouldn't be using that spectrum of frequencies anyway for your wireless microphones. You posted earlier that you wanted to report your venue for using the microphones. I believe you were in a high school environment? So this would cause more issues than a regular venue I would think as Cell Phones are regularly used. I know a few schools them selves have tried to block cell phones from being used via the jammers and get got in a whole heat of trouble.

If you're not only having issues with interference from cell phones, but also having issues since you're using an antiquated or no longer legal spectrum, wether your school likes it or not it's time to upgrade. The fees you'll face are far higher than what it would cost to update your mics.

So, you're knowingly breaking the law, doing so is causing you operational problems and the proposed solution is to break even more laws? Probably not the approach to take with anything.

Since you are an unlicensed, secondary user, even if the operating frequency was not an issue you would still have to accept interference from all licensed and/or primary users. Thus no matter what, you have to accept the cell phone interference. You really have no legal or reasonable option other than to abandon those systems.

The answer you want: A jammer will jam everything in the band it operates in. Period.

Now, no cell phones are currently operating in the 700 MHz band (at least, at the moment). Verizon may light some LTE phones up by the end of the year though. Other cell phones operate between 800 and 902 MHz, as well as between 950 and 1 GHz, and between 1.8 and 2 GHz, and in the 2.1 GHz bands. So even if you were to buy a jammer, you'd need one for every band that phones operate in.

Sounds to me like you have bigger problems on your hands though.

Now, no cell phones are currently operating in the 700 MHz band (at least, at the moment). Verizon may light some LTE phones up by the end of the year though.
My understanding is that Verizon has been testing their LTE service in some metro areas and currently plans to have it up and running in 38 metro areas by the end of the year, which is not far off. Most of the initial LTE use and devices will probably be for wireless computing, LTE phones seem more likely to hit next year but who knows for sure.

Yes, they have been testing it--I suppose my point was that it's not available for consumers. Yet.

LTE is the technology Verizon and AT&T will eventually transition to--they'll call it 4G when they roll it out. (Technically speaking, though, LTE won't be 4G until IMT-Advanced is adopted...). In the US, it will start off in the 700 MHz band that we gave up a few years ago.

Yes, they have been testing it--I suppose my point was that it's not available for consumers. Yet.

LTE is the technology Verizon and AT&T will eventually transition to--they'll call it 4G when they roll it out. (Technically speaking, though, LTE won't be 4G until IMT-Advanced is adopted...). In the US, it will start off in the 700 MHz band that we gave up a few years ago.

I thought Sprint already had a 4G system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back