Vintage Lighting Century-Strand #3413 Fresnel

What a fun adventure, than comes the puzzle! Brings me back to the other adventures in my collection (not currently working on any lights), of what joy I also have in restoring them. (Have to get back to them as a carrot on a stick given work stuff on my dance card at the moment.) Well done so far in great attention to detail = factory spec or better. Just as much fun as restoring a classic car, but lots cheaper and less time spent in getting done before moving onto another adventure for a hobby. Hope to see much more from you on fixtures. Ah' the adventure, what a great hobby! It for me also helps teach from how it was done in the past new techniques for how to make the lights I make or fix at work on modern stuff. Hope it does for you also... just the Rusty ETC clamp alone, all parts re-tapped and restored after treating and repairing or replacing. Lots of work but fun in now good as new.

Are you replacing the various fasteners say lamp base mounting screws etc. or restoring them also? I assume lamp socket taken apart with cement chipped out and after restoration replaced with high temp. silicone or actual furnace cement? On fasteners, I love how cheap stainless steel bronze and brass are these days for new and for most fixtures made after say 1950 I would normally replace everything. But I have over the years also cleaned up and re-tapped everything in keeping original, including replacing antique fasteners with other antiques at times as opposed to new. (I have a stock of new and old fasteners.)

Glad it's not texture paint... that's really hard to duplicate, almost as if stipled on - me looking at the #3606 I still have not brought back to work yet. Was initially worried in photos that you scraped all texture paint and did different color, but lucky it's the black and you found your match in paint. What did you do with the surface rust before painting? What steps did you use after removing it? Did you sand blast or sand? What to remove the fine dust?

What did you do on the reflector and what did you do to remove residue afterwards? Lamp base looks new? Again above on if restored, what did you do in detail?

My notes on how I did such things were posted years ago and updated over the years, interested in what you found and new techniques also written up. How did you restore the lamp socket or did you replace it?

Thank you, ship (and everyone else that chimed in), for all your comments and suggestions. They are GREATLY appreciated. :)
To answer your questions:
I DO plan on replacing all the fasteners with new ones. I have most of them so far, although I haven't been able to find replacements yet for two press-on nuts. These go on either end of the hinge rod that holds the front frame to the body. These were deformed somewhat during the removal process. They look like acorn nuts, but they're formed from sheet metal. (I can't recall the correct term for these.)
I'm not doing anything to the lamp socket. There is no pitting or corrosion on the contact surfaces, no heat discoloration anywhere. Based on the surface rust on the outside of the fixture, I know this instrument was well-used; I suspect the socket had been replaced at some point, since it's in such good condition. All I really had to do to the socket was wipe off some accumulated dust and dirt.
For the exterior, I used some medium-textured scotchbrite-type pads to get the majority of the surface rust off. I then used some 320 and 400-grit sandpaper to get the exposed metal shiny, and to scuff up the surrounding paint. On the bottom of the fixture (where the "F" and "S" are), I had to go at it with some 200-grit to clean it up. I wiped everything down with clean cloths prior to painting. For the actual painting, I used multiple coats of spray paint, letting it dry thoroughly between. A few times I got in a hurry and had some runs and sags; these were sanded out with 200 or 320-grit sandpaper before re-painting.
The reflector itself was in great shape. I didn't have to do any buffing or polishing to it at all. I simply masked off the "bowl" part of it and the back before I re-painted the edges.
I'll do more pictures as this goes back together. :)

Take photos of what is missing. Might be able to help.
It goes in the small round hole in front of the vent holes.
DSC04880.JPG

After some more online searching, I found some pictures of what the missing front latch looks like.
$_57 (2).JPG IMG_5300.JPG
My guess is that it's some sort of spring-loaded plunger-type thingy. Thumbing through a McMaster-Carr catalog didn't turn up any likely replacements (surprisingly). I'd really like to find the correct replacement part, or at least something similar to make this work as it was intended. Suggestions, anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back