Control/Dimming Chamsys MagicQ, Enttec DMX USB Pro, Windows 7 Help!

djsquizz

About a month ago I downloaded the Chamsys MagicQ software and I've really started to like it. My Enttec USB DMX PRO just came in the mail so I can start using it for shows. After lots of reading other threads and posts all over the internet I know that I must install a different driver than what came with the interface. People keep saying that the additional driver can be found on the Chamsys site but I can't find it there or anywhere on the internet. And once I download it, how do I switch drivers in Windows 7?
So I guess I'm asking 2 questions:
1) where can this driver be found? and
2) How do I tell Windows to use this new driver instead of the default one?

Cheers,
Jon

Go to the Enttec site. Download the correct drivers. You'll need the FTDxxxx drivers. Extract the drivers to someplace easy to find - personally I like to create a folder on the C: called Drivers.

Go to your device manager. Find the Enntec Device: Right Click: Properties: Driver Tab: Update Drive: Browse ...
Enjoy! I love my Enttec interface. I use ut with a couple of programs, not just MagicQ.

Last edited:
Sorry to be a noob, I'm probably missing something obvious. But where on the Enttec site are the drivers? Under the drivers tab on the website there is only one option for windows systems

I believe this is the direct link to the Windows 7 drivers.

I should have pointed out that I made a link out of Enttec site. Good luck. Let us know of you get it working.

PS: Notice that is is a self extracting ZIP executable file and should have update to the correct drivers.

Last edited:
When I go to switch the driver and select the downloaded one, windows tells me that "the best driver software for your device is already installed". does this mean that the driver I want has already been installed successfully? (the light on the enttec box does flash as it should when i open chamsys) And I can't get access to any dmx fixtures until friday when we rehearse in the venue, so I'll let you guys know how it works then.

Follow the above directions and get the driver details. It will tell you the name of the driver. Itshould start off with FTD. Once that is checked, you'll need to go into MagicQ & View DMX I/O, on UNI 1, change OUT TYPE to Enttec Pro & OUT UNI to 1. Save. If all you are doing is basic Lights UP/Down Cue Stacks shows, change your interface to SIMPLE (upper right corner).

All else fails, contact the Chamsys guys via their website - they're very helpful.

It does say its an FTD driver in the details and the light is flashing so i'm assuming its working properly. I have Chamsys already set up for the interface, in the MagicQ owners manual it says you don't have to specify the "out uni" for usb interfaces though (Maybe that setting is only for Art-Net?). My first show consists of 40 dimmer channels, 6 mac250's, 12 LED pars, and a dmx controlled hazer. I've read through most of the manual, and I've programmed the show using normal mode already. If for some odd reason I can't get MagicQ and the Enttec box to work at the rehearsal, there is already an ETC Smartfade ML in the lighting booth ready to go.

Thanks for the help guys

you should be good to go! Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back