Chamsys MQ70 vs Onyx NK4

mhey10

We’re trying to decide between Chamsys MQ70 and Onyx NX4. Need opinions, suggestions and advice. We would have to learn the one we pick. Currently we have an ETC Express 72/144. I have to decide within the next two weeks. We do mostly theater.

How did you narrow it down to those choices? How big are the shows you do? What are you going to be controlling?

The ETC ion with faders as well as the ma2 are way out of budget. The two we narrowed it down to seem to offer the most features for the dollars.

How many universes are you needing for output? If you need less than 8, might I suggest the new NX1 console? 10 motorized faders for the playbacks and built in touch screen with capability to add one external touch. I would also pair it with an NX-K device to get some physical command keys and 4 more encoders.
MAP for the two items: NX1 $3990, NX K $390

Have you looked at the ETC Nomad and a Gadget. You could add a fader wing (used?) and an Xkeys for a pretty low budget. Neither the Chamsys or Onyx are particularly theatrical. Yes, they can do theatrical productions, but they are very different from an Express in programming style.
That being said, I have played briefly on the MQ70, and I know that the Chamsys has a "Theatrical" mode. So, I would lean that way.
I would recommend downloading the software and playing with it on a computer. See how easy it is to get up and going and "virtually" turning on some lights.
Good luck,
John

How many universes are you needing for output? If you need less than 8, might I suggest the new NX1 console? 10 motorized faders for the playbacks and built in touch screen with capability to add one external touch. I would also pair it with an NX-K device to get some physical command keys and 4 more encoders.
Does the
will the nx1 work seamlessly with the NX4-wing

Will the NX-wing take the place of the NX-K. If so does it work seamlessly with the NX1

The NX1 is a stand alone console, the NX Wing is a interface for Onyx on a PC, you wouldn't use them together unless you wanted to network them as a primary and secondary control option

I haven't used the Onyx. I have spent a half hour playing around with the Chamsys in a tradeshow booth. I liked it and think it's a solid budget option for schools, small theaters, and houses of worship.

In terms of reliability, and service, it's a pretty close call.

My choice would be an ETC Nomad with a long range plan for upgrades to a big touch screen and a fader wing.

But if this is a one time purchase at a budget. It's a very close call that comes down to your preference in programming style of the Onyx vs Chamsys.

Download the software and watch training videos to see which system makes the most sense to your brain.

I've done one major AAA Artist stadium tour with the Martin M1 (Which became the Onyx series when Elation bought it)
It is an incredibly full featured system, that I found very easy to use, and easy to also teach to beginners. That was 9 years ago, and I'm sure many features have been added since.
Would definitely recommend the Onyx stuff.

The ChamSys MQ70 is a really nice console. I own one myself. After years of usiing Avolites for touring, and ETC in theatre I decided on this. Depending on how you set it up, it seems to be a perfect balance of running shows in a theatre style, quick editing, and easy busking. Plus its a really nice control surface. Screen is a bit small but its useable. I bought an extra external touchscreen to use with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back