Chandiler into the lighting board

OK heres the deal

I want a chandiler we are using in the Dinning room to have the ability to dim and go on and off throughout the play. How would i go about doing this. Currently there is no plug on the chandiler, and we use those standard two prong with a ground plugs. (sorry i am not technical) and i have a strand 300 board.

Can anyone help me out here. Let me know if you need any more information.

L :)

well you just need to add a plug on the end of the light and plug it into a dimmer.

exactly. just make sure you get the groung into the right place. the other two don't matter. and just plug it in as you would any other light.

Thanks guys!... I just wanted to ask to make sure i wasnt going to blow something up.... but thats what i thought! THANKS again

Lester said:
exactly. just make sure you get the groung into the right place. the other two don't matter. and just plug it in as you would any other light.

The ground going to the right place- correct

The other two (hot and neutral) not mattering - not correct (in theory yes to an extent but not always in practice)

On some lamp bases (and I am guessing this may be the case in a chandelier) it is possible to touch the metal outer portion that is in contact with the outer surface of the lamp (Edison or bayonet). If this is wired to the Neutral and you touch it whilst the lamp is on, you will not get a shock. However, if you wire up the Hot to it then you will get a shock.

Add to this the fact that a lot of these lighting fixtures to not have a ground and you have a serious problem just waiting to happen (and why people are taught not to change light bulbs with the power on!).

As such, a little more info would be helpful before you head off to possibly do some damage. A better description of the plugs you use would be helpful (a picture would be better), as would a description of the wire currently coming out of the chandelier (is it 2 core or 3 core).

My advise at this stage would be to have someone with more experience in wiring up plugs give you a hand.

Before you put the plug on you could always put the continuity range of a meter on the cable and chandelier and see what goes where.

Ensure it is UNPOWERED before you do this though!

I can do diagrams if so wished, you just need to ask.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back