Changing booth

tschnuckel

Needing to build a changing booth. We get lots of tech riders specifying 5' x 5'. Seems kinda big and 4x4 works better from a wood dimension stand point. Anyone have any thoughts or pictures? Just curious what others do.

Also going to make it so it folds completely flat like a room divider/screen does.

I am affiliated with a H.S. The ones we have are in our drama room and are 4'x4' and are a simple 2x4 boxed walls covered with luan and act as dividers for each space. There is also a 1x3 towards the top of each wall that a curtain rod (about 1' dowel) goes in between at the front for a curtain and to mount coat hooks. Very simple.

Needing to build a changing booth. We get lots of tech riders specifying 5' x 5'. Seems kinda big and 4x4 works better from a wood dimension stand point. Anyone have any thoughts or pictures? Just curious what others do.

Also going to make it so it folds completely flat like a room divider/screen does.
@tschnuckel How about two 4' x 8' flats booked with three 2" back-flap hinges on their faces to fold flat when not in use?
Hinge a second pair of identical flats the same way.
If / when using the four flats to make a temporary change booth, add two or three more LOOSE PIN 2" back-flap hinges along a pair of edges not already hinged, mate the loose pin hinges and mate them with L-shaped lengths of coat-hanger wire to mate them together. Laying another flat across the top of your temporary booth will keep lights in the interior from spilling up and out plus also keep curious fly-floor personnel from peering down and / or pouring water in to startle an occupant.
EDIT: @tschnuckel Storing, handling, using and toting pairs of flats hinged face to face is appreciably lighter, easier to deal with, than three or four flats all linked together.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
If it doesn't need to be fancy, in regional theatre I used to just put up three stock flats with scrap duve as the entrance. If you don't stock 1x8, and have the room, use a 2x8 with a 4x8, to be a 6x6 room.
Or ask. All riders are negotiable to some extent. Ask to see if a 4x4 will suffice.

+1 to pipe & drape wherever we can. Once upon a time (at some venue in my past), I had a series of 30"x72" (1x3 frames & covered in duvetyn) broadway flats hinges like dressing screens that we could unfold, stitch together, cleat to a stage wall, etc. We'd hang a curtain across the entrance and we were gold. If you do this a lot, I'd just go with the rider's requirements.

Working on these today...PVC pipe and Dollar Tree tablecloths.

Attachments

• 75895AB1-AC63-42DC-B14D-1BB894C632BB.jpeg
    75895AB1-AC63-42DC-B14D-1BB894C632BB.jpeg
    345.8 KB · Views: 377
Yes, just deep enough to drop a 3" screw in, then drop the pipe over the screw to keep it from moving. I wanted them to be temporary so we can eventually move them to our main dressing room. We were doing Annie and the kids were stationed in our rehearsal space for dressing and downtime.

Yes, just deep enough to drop a 3" screw in, then drop the pipe over the screw to keep it from moving. I wanted them to be temporary so we can eventually move them to our main dressing room. We were doing Annie and the kids were stationed in our rehearsal space for dressing and downtime.
Sir, you have my utmost sympathy.

Sir, you have my utmost sympathy.
Thanks-- I managed to steer clear of the chaos. The backstage moms did a great job wrangling and kept the kids busy with theme nights and such. Unfortunately didn't prevent the Annie plague from going through the cast- luckily we split the role of Annie and one had to finish out the run herself. But overall a great run!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back