Changing degrees of Colortrans

Okay, I got a new job (Yeah!) but a majority of it is spent on my own (somewhat good) working on 30 degree Colortrans 5/50s, which I have never used prior to today (bad). I'm learning with them, they don't seem to very complex or different. The one thing I have a question about that I haven't seem to figure out on my own is my lighting designer wants them to be 20 degree, which apparently if you insert a donutlike metal piece into the 30 degree fixture you can achieve. I was told to take the lens barrel out and insert the donut into the back of the barrel, the question I have is does the donut piece just rest on the barrel or does it need to be secured or does the donut piece get inserted inside the lens barrel and not on the outside of the barrel? Has anyone worked with these lights and can help me out? Also kind of on the same subject is there a place to find a User Manual or other information on the Colortran 5/50s? I have a quick datasheet that quite frankly does me no real good. I'd like to learn more about the hardware.

Do you have any pics?

P.S. Welcome to the booth! Why don't you go introduce yourself on the new member board?

If'n I remember correctly, Don't you pull the four screws holding the two halves of the barrel together, move the lens to the appropriate slots, set the donut in place then try to put the two halves back together whilst keeping the stupid little rubber peices in place.

IIRC, the inside of the barrel has a little table engraved detailing what lenses go in which position and where exactly you need a field stop (donut) for each degree.

Good luck!

-Chris

there are two different donuts needed depending on the degree. This fixture also use a 6*9 lens and a smaller diameter lens. The small lens can only fit in one position. The 6*9 lens has two locations. The 6*9 lens positions can be identified by the shape of the groove, one side has a vertical wall and the second side has a wall at 45 degrees. The other groove with two vertical walls is only used for the large doniut. The lenses should also each have four silicon spacers on them to stop them moving and cracking.

For a twenty degree fixture remove the small diameter lens and replace with a donut and move the large lens (6*9) to the forward lens position.

For the thirty degree position you need both lenses in place but the 6*9 lens is in the most forward position and the large donut fits into the slot between the two lenses. The small donut is not used.

For the forty degree position the two lenses are used with no donuts. The 6*9 lens is in the groove closest to the small lens.

The donuts come with the 30 degree fixture but often get lost. They can be bought from Colortran. THe NSI/Leviton website has the manual for these fixtures on it and you can see a picture of all of this plus the part numbers for the donuts. I made my donut from 20 guage steel sheet - Leviton does the same. If you want to make your own I can send you the diameters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back