Charc's College Thread

Distance from home is a consideration, but being too far from home isn't always a bad thing. Personally I'm about 5 hours drive from home, and with a pickup that gets 8 miles to the gallon I go home basically for summer and winter break exclusively. I really like this though, it encouraged me to do a little college growing up faster than most of my friends. I have all my bills to pay, and I can call mom or dad if I really need help, but I'm still gonna have to wait for something in the mail, so it's better to have just planed ahead in the first place. Given the fact that I have a Delta hub (SLC airport) on the other side of town it is often just as expensive to drive home as it is to fly somewhere. This really makes breaks more fun, instead of going home and living in a room that doesn't feel like it's mine anymore I go somewhere bring and sunny and hang out with friends. So basically, think about how far away from home your going to school, but you might actually enjoy the independence of being a little farther from home.

I'm going to put in a plug for my Buena Vista University here. We offer a couple different Biology majors. We also have a Drama department, a recording production department, and my own Event Tech Department, in addition to our own student run radio and TV stations.
The drama department does 3 main shows per year, and our crew is busy year round with lots of others. (I think I have 3 days in April that I don't have something on my calender.)
Another big plus is that the campus is 100% wireless, and you are given a laptop to use while you are a student. There's something nice about being right on the lake too.
We're located in Storm Lake, Ia. (north west corner of the state) Omaha is 3 hours or so south, the Twin Cities are about that far Northeast.
I have no idea what tuition is. I think this year the graduating class is about 400, and individual classroom sizes are in the 20s I think. My wife graduated from here back in 2000 and seems very happy with her education.
If you are interested, let me know. One of the admission reps worked for me while he was a student and I'll see if I can hook you up with him. Otherwise, check out http://www.bvu.edu/
Matt

I know Charc wants to go to a small liberal arts college because that feels more like what he's used too... and that's great. Not trying to talk you out of it. If you're a spoiled rich brat like Charc. GREAT!

Education vs. Hardwork and luck... here I go again... First off being from the West coast and being a state university grad who never looked at small private schools. I haven't heard of half of these universities listed above in this thread. So you spend $100k to get a degree at Flugeldorf University then you move West you may find that the prestige of the university gets you nothing.

Secondly, Let's say you go to Ithaca. I know the university has an outstanding theater reputation. Now let's say that Hughesie doesn't get a degree. But he started volunteering at the local community theater doing lighting at 15. He eventually started designing for them and while you are going to college he moves on to design for several other semi-pro and community theaters. I know the people who have hired him and they all give glowing recommendations. Guess what Hughesie and no theater degree at all is going to get the job over you because of his glowing recommendations from people in the community here that I know.

Third, let's say you are 35 years old you have a degree from Ithaca. Hughesie is applying for the same job with a degree from Aussie State University. Neither of you has worked for anyone I know. Unless I went to Ithaca, I'm not going to care where you or Hughesie got your degrees from. I'm going to look at what have you done in the 10 years since your degree.

(Most of these arguments also work for the getting an MFA vs. a BFA.)

Don't get me wrong, education is important! You need to know far more than a high school drama program teaches to have a career in tech. But where you get it or how much you have is not nearly as important as who you impress along the way with your work. Impressing the right person will make your career. Screwing up in front of the wrong person will ruin your career. Get all the education you can afford but for those of you who are not spoiled rich brats like Charc(;)) don't feel your dreams of a great career in tech are out of reach. A budget education at a state school will work just as well. How good you are, how hard you work, who you impress, and a little dumb luck, are vastly more important in the long run than where you got your degree from.

P.S. Charc, how about a degree in Risk Managment or Ocupational Health and Safety

Last edited:
Alright, I return from Southern Methodist University a convert. I was so impressed with their program. In fact, I'll definitely be going there this fall.

The campus is beautiful, and unlike a lot of the other more conservatory style programs I looked at, it offers an honors program and any class you could imagine, even ones that have nothing to do with theatre specifically. Also, unlike most of the other schools I looked at, you can take a minor.

Their undergrad design program is brand new. It just start last year and so far there are only 2 people in it. Next year I'll be one of the second class of five students. What's lovely about it is that it allows you to take basically anything you want and tailor your degree to your desires. They also have a very prestigious grad program and luckily, if you're good as an undergrad, you get bumped up to grad classes. They have beautiful facilities, 3 fully equipped theatres of different kinds and a ton of rehearsal spaces that are used for student projects. It's a really self-driven program and one of the things that I've noticed about SMU grads is that they start a lot of theatres. They don't have to worry too much about finding work, if they can't, they create work. Plus, they have a new dean that is doing really progressive things with the theatre program including study abroad programs (impossible for theatre at other colleges) including for techs, and integrating degrees across disciplines, like combining the design degree with a minor in film and tv. Plus, since the university has such a disgusting amount of money, they have all the amazing equipment. I can't even name all the different intel lights and boards they have. Classes are small and the professors are spectacular. Steve Woods, the design professor is still working in the business, in fact I just saw Neil Young's rock Opera Greendale, which will be going from Dallas to off-broadway New york in a few months which Mr. Woods designed. They're also bringing in another design professor, whose name escapes me, but he's just moving in to Dallas after a few years working huge shows in New york. Students get a lot of individual attention.

After I visited SMU, I could think of no valid reasons why Emerson would be better. I was thoroughly impressed and would highly suggest a look at it. I had reservations at first, but once I visited, I realized that it was neither as southern or methodist as would frighten me. Lastly, it is a rich kid school and the number of porsches parked around alarmed me a lot. But, that also means that they have a lot of money to give. I got 20 grand off, 10 for academics, 10 for theatre. So in the end, it's about as expensive as going to my state university.

ah college selection. i skipped that. i applied on a whim to the one true "early college" (drop out of hs and go to college at least a semester before you normally can): Bard College at Simon's Rock in Great Barrington, MA. Great department, very small but very intensive and student led. i started designing on my own when i was a sophomore (can't beat that in many other places!). to get in all you really have to be is an original, innovative, passionate, and intelligent person (not really asking that much in my opinion). it's small and liberal arts heavy (the gen ed reqs take 2 years to complete and include a cultural perspectives course). it's situated in a tiny town in South Berkshire county in Massachusetts and is filled with neo-hippies and other kooky crazy folk whom i have a deep affection for.

yes, i am doing a plug, no, i don't care. i love my school and feel that everyone who might be interested in what we offer should have the chance to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back