Control/Dimming chasing lights

itie

so im planing on building a marquee and installing lights around it but i want them to chase. a friend was telling me that i could get a chaser to do it for me. I dont know where to get one or how they work. if any one knows anything bout them please shed some light for me.

What is the marquee for? Is it used in a show or is it going on the outside of your theatre?

Normally when I have to do something like this, I wire every third lamp on the same circuit and then connect them to dimmers allowing me to program the chase using the console. Due to CB's TOS, I can't actually tell you how to do the wiring, however it is very simple if you know what you are doing.

See this portal:
proxy.php

Each "Z" is wired for a 3 circuit chase and a full portal chase. In total 27 circuits were required for the effects. As I said, the wiring for effects like this is simple if you know what you are doing, though a little tedious when doing the actual wiring.

wiring is no problem and that was my first plan but that would eat up 3 or 4 circuits that i dont have. if it comes down to it i will do it that way but if they make like a chasing machine and only need to use one circuit then thats what i would prefer. thank you

The problem with a controller is that they can have a wattage limit that is really low depending on what you are doing, also if the power is coming from a controller you can't dim them. I have used a 3 channel ropelight controller and a couple of relays to control chases over the capacity of the controller. This way I was also able to dim the lamps all while only using one dimmer. Make sure you know what you are doing before you attempt anything.

-Tim

Something in this thread may help: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/6977-non-dmx-rope-light-chasers.html.

In the olden days, for marquees, a mechanical eccentric cam chase unit was used. A non-dim controls the motor (fixed speed only), and a dimmer supplies power to the lamps. Are there any old sign companies in your yellow pages? They may have one in a back room. If one was good with mechanics, micro switches, and relays, one could built one from scratch.

Here's an electronic version, discontinued, but possibly available for around the same price as the kit you found: Elation Professional - Professional Lighting Products. Here's a similar unit with less wattage: Products 2/4 Channel Chasing Timer | | CHAUVET® Lighting.

See also this site: Channel Controllers.

What about renting a shoebox dimmer? That would prevent you from eating up your existing dimmers, would allow you the most control, and may be cheaper than having to buy equipment for a show (unless this will be recurring).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back