Chassis mount XLR to RJ45 (for DMX)?

mbrown3039

Anyone know of a chassis mount 3-pin XLR to RJ45 connector for DMX use? I've used the in-hand dongles many times, but need a panel-mount model for this next service call...TIA, mike

Thanks...turns out the precise thing I am looking for is a Neutrik NC5MDM3-H-PCB-RJ45, but it seems to be a UK-only part. So much for DMX being universal, lol. I've got a message in to Neutrik to find a US retailer. Thanks! m

The odds of this work ever being inspected are nil, but we still like to use finished products (especially if certified/rated, although this one isn't) whenever possible. Plus, in this particular instance, we're cleaning up someone else's XLR-connector-dolphined-to-blue-CAT-cable-wrapped-in-black-gaff-tape debacle, so the more polished, the better. And we will use the 5-pin version. Thanks, m

The odds of this work ever being inspected are nil, but we still like to use finished products (especially if certified/rated, although this one isn't) whenever possible. Plus, in this particular instance, we're cleaning up someone else's XLR-connector-dolphined-to-blue-CAT-cable-wrapped-in-black-gaff-tape debacle, so the more polished, the better. And we will use the 5-pin version. Thanks, m
@mbrown3039 meet @almorton . I suspect @almorton could / would middle-man a Neutrik connector for you and / or put you in touch with a British dealer / distributor who'd be pleased to sell you one, or possibly send you one as a "Sample", especially if you paid shipping charges.
Toodleoo
Ron Hebbard

Just wondering why you would need the RJ-45 inside a panel? wy not a punch-down or screw terminal?

@mbrown3039 meet @almorton . I suspect @almorton could / would middle-man a Neutrik connector for you and / or put you in touch with a British dealer / distributor who'd be pleased to sell you one, or possibly send you one as a "Sample", especially if you paid shipping charges.
Toodleoo
Ron Hebbard
I can look into suppliers, certainly, but I echo what others have said - this is possibly not the right tool for the job.

Looks like Penn-Elcom has the RJ45 and IDC in the US. These are the 5-pin female XLR but they have the 5-pin male as well:

NC5 RJ45.pngNC5F IDC.png

Toodleoo
Ron Hebbard

Thanks. I'm going to try and order them from PennElcom UK with international shipping and see what happens. Thanks, M

just about everyone in the installation business. And the owner of the company I work for (me). M

Wow, that's some news. Everybody in the install business you say?

Nope - I said "nearly everyone." You read "everybody," perhaps because you seem (from your tone) to have some bone to pick with me/the industry/my post/the world/I don't care.

If it makes you happy, let me reiterate: I want that connector because I like latching connectors more than other types and because that will make ME happy. Feel better? m

Definitely. My boss would've whipped me severely if he'd had to fly me from Toronto, to 'n fro' Vegas simply to reconnect a non-latched connector in one of five 44 RU racks of automated show control in Tussauds in the second and third floors of a three story Tower on the front corner of The Venetian in 1999.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
Definitely. My boss would've whipped me severely if he'd had to fly me from Toronto, to 'n fro' Vegas simply to reconnect a non-lathed connector in one of five 44 RU racks of automated show control in Tussauds in the second and third floors of a three story Tower on the front corner of The Venetian in 1999.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Exactly. No different than, in my opinion, the vast majority of sound techs prefer XLR to 1/4" because it latches, video techs prefer BNC over HDMi/RCA because it latches, etc. M

Thanks. I'm going to try and order them from PennElcom UK with international shipping and see what happens. Thanks, M

OK, Uk is out too - and, apparantly, Penn Elcom is the only reseller for this connector and the back order is quite substantial. So, back to the drawing board. Thanks, everyone! M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back