Chassis mount XLR to RJ45 (for DMX)?

I don't think anyone is questioning latching XLRs. The question is why you'd want an RJ45 on the other side. Most installers would cut the RJ plug off the cable and solder it, or use an XLR with a terminal block, both of which are widely available. Stripping wire is not that hard.

A latching connector is always preferred to screw-down or friction-mount. Thanks, M
For installs? Every company I’ve worked for (and it’s multiple) doing install work, 95% of what we installed was screw down terminals.... permanent theatre installs, conference rooms, major companies, universities/classrooms, basically all screw down.

In a live setting I don’t want a screw down terminal, but that’s a totally different ball game.

I’d argue with your hdmi/bnc and xlr/ 1/4 as well. There’s a place for both and in the case of video connectors depends on the equipment grade you’re using. And it’s virtually impossible to avoid 1/4 connectors in a live setting. Some pretty broad generalizations.

Nope - I said "nearly everyone." You read "everybody," perhaps because you seem (from your tone) to have some bone to pick with me/the industry/my post/the world/I don't care.

If it makes you happy, let me reiterate: I want that connector because I like latching connectors more than other types and because that will make ME happy. Feel better? m
Wow. I really asked a serious question I was wondering what application one would have for an rj45 with a panel mount XLR. You apparently took offense that I would dare question you and felt it necessary to display your credentials as "the owner" of you company and that you were doing what "everyone" does. Telling me that a latching connector is 'always' preferred in an installation over a friction fit is ludicrous. Do you have any idea how many units I have built that have traveled all over the world with external panel mount supplying signal to an internal screw terminal?
This is an educational forum. Perhaps a non-confrontational answer to an innocent question would better serve to community than an indignant retort due to the fact that someone dare question you? Get over yourself.

Wow. I really asked a serious question I was wondering what application one would have for an rj45 with a panel mount XLR. You apparently took offense that I would dare question you and felt it necessary to display your credentials as "the owner" of you company and that you were doing what "everyone" does. Telling me that a latching connector is 'always' preferred in an installation over a friction fit is ludicrous. Do you have any idea how many units I have built that have traveled all over the world with external panel mount supplying signal to an internal screw terminal?
This is an educational forum. Perhaps a non-confrontational answer to an innocent question would better serve to community than an indignant retort due to the fact that someone dare question you? Get over yourself.
@mbrown3039 & @Van You two could prove useful to the poster seeking advice lighting a wrestling ring; you could serve as stand-ins for setting camera angles and aperture settings.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

@mbrown3039 & @Van You two could prove useful to the poster seeking advice lighting a wrestling ring; you could serve as stand-ins for setting camera angles and aperture settings.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I need an excuse to buy a new camera.... 🎬:think:

Perhaps not mis-quoting me in a snarky, non-education reply (" Wow, that's some news. Everybody in the install business you say?") would also be useful. Or, feel free to not reply to any of my posts if they're not to your liking, I'm fine either way. Have a super day!

I guess I can see it both ways - if it's a big cabinet with a door... yeah, you might want RJ45 on the inside.

But if it's a panel, screwed into a 4" square or something where the interior is unlike to be ever exposed, the IDC where you can punch down your STP wires would be my preference.

Unless you're buying premade molded cables, there's some sort of crimping or something.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back