Chauvet COLORado 1

Personally, I don't think a comparison between an LED and a conventional is a complete test. Since the one is additive and the other subtractive, they work differently. Yes, the market is trying to replace conventionals with led, but I'd also like to see what a product like the Colorado 1 can do against a http://www.coemar.com/prodotti_dett...tion+systems</a>+||+&id_prodotti=286&flag=eng which it obviously has been patterned after. The Coemar streets at about $1,100. If the Chauvet is as durable, as bright, etc., and streets at $850, then maybe it's worth it to save $250 per can. But I think that's the REAL comparison. Further, if you're a venue and you have shows coming in, are they going to accept an all LED house rig? And doing so will screw up a production that travels with a board already programmed for conventionals. Each can goes from 1 channel to now 5 - 6, so every cue needs to be re-checked for led. And LED use different address configurations. Or if you're a production rental house, are you going to get a lot of requests for led rigs instead of pars? Maybe down the road, but I just don't see it happening in the near term. That's going to have to be proven to the people who spec out the shows.

Chauvet is indeed pushing the envelope. For my son's wedding I lit the 40' x 60' tent indirectly with just four of the Colorsplash 200B's. Just 40w of AC and there was plenty of light... in any color I choose.

The thing I find a little scary is the fact that it takes 90 Luxeon LEDs to equal a 400w discharge lamp. I say 400w because the Mac 550 is just as bright as a 575w lamp, namely Elation's Power/Design Spot. I'm sure Elation was comparing the Impression to one of these fixtures when making that statement. Now while LEDs are cheaper up keep cost, I see one problem with this.

The face of that fixture is rather large. I can see how it would be easy to damage a few of the LEDs on there in transport, hanging, un-hanging, handling, etc. It is not cheap to solder new LEDs onto a PC board, particularly one of that size. I can remember handling LED video wall panels with dead 'pixels' in them. Not easy or cheap to replace those LEDs, why should these be any different?

The other thing I noticed is that the fixture uses 350w. Now while still less then what a Mac 550 uses, we are now getting up there in power consumption. This also doesn't change the fact that when you frost an LED to get a wider beam, the intensity loss is greater with LEDs then with a lamp. So to get that wider beam, more LEDs. More LEDs means more money, more to break, bigger fixture.

I like Elation and Chauvet for pushing design in this market. Hopefully it gets others on the band wagon. The fact is, however, LEDs have a long way to go. This also doesn't change the fact that companies like VL and Martin are still researching better optics and looking for better, more efficient lamps. One last thing, it would take roughly 2 1/2 of these fixtures to equal the output of one VL 3500 Wash, or 234 LEDs. Just some food for thought.

Yes, all good points. We certainly aren't at direct replacement level yet, however recent developments have been rather encouraging. I think that for the forseeable future, both LED and conventional intels will have to coexist.

I get the feeling that Chauvet is coming up with new ideas and just throwing them on the market as fast as they can. Meanwhile the big boys in the industry are taking their time watching, developing, experimenting. Waiting for the technology leaps and price drops they need to produce the next generation of LEDs that will really knock our socks off.

Gafftaper, exactly.

If the past is any predictor of the future, my first PC cost $ 2800.00 and had a 256 hard drive. My current PC cost under a grand and has hundreds the processing.

We are seeing the tip of the birth of LED technology. It should be exciting to watch.

If the past is any predictor of the future, my first PC cost $ 2800.00 and had a 256 hard drive. My current PC cost under a grand and has hundreds the processing.

We are seeing the tip of the birth of LED technology. It should be exciting to watch.

Exactly! LED instruments are just starting to crank up. In just a few years, they'll be brighter, and better quality, and be more affordable.

BTW, I'll be doing my comparisons and taking photos of my Demo COLORado 1 unit this coming monday, as I didn't have time to do it before thanksgiving.

No question that things are getting better and prices will continue to drop.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law
But coming from a touring/production background I try to consider what a fixture can do that I can't do already, and will it stand up to a local crew who is typically slightly less conscientious than I am with my equipment.

BTW, Bill, brackets are going to work tomorrow and I will have them back at UPS on Monday.

No big hurry Len, I don't need them until December 28th for the Holly Ball.

I remember when I was out with Teddy Pendergast a local crew fork lift operator dropped two of my 12kW Par Can cages (from about 10 feet,) the welding bill was over $ 800.00 for overnight service since we had a show the next day 200 miles away.

LEDs will grow up and we get to watch it . . . that's cool.

No big hurry Len, I don't need them until December 28th for the Holly Ball.
I remember when I was out with Teddy Pendergast a local crew fork lift operator dropped two of my 12kW Par Can cages (from about 10 feet,) the welding bill was over $ 800.00 for overnight service since we had a show the next day 200 miles away.
LEDs will grow up and we get to watch it . . . that's cool.

They are growing right now I think, if we're talking about the old Luxeon V's or K2, the new LEDs out now are by Cree and are constantly marching ahead, I think their newest LED the Cree XRE Q5 delivers 228 Lumens @ 3.7 Watts. That's a lot for such a little LED, and they have already started shipping the next step up, ahead of schedule
http://www.cree.com/

Meanwhile a company named Seoul Semiconductors has a similar product (less reliable) that they are selling.

That being said about Cree and SSC, 3.7 Watts is the hardest you can drive that little LED. Philips is not falling behind in the race, despite a late start, this is their current response to the Cree Q5 is the Luxeon Rebel, only 1 mm square, it delivers 100 lumens @ 350 mA, and 170 Lumens at 700 mA.
http://www.luxeon.com/products/line.cfm?lineId=19

Now, luxeon K2's have also made a BIG jump forward...
http://www.luxeon.com/newsandevents/releases/LuxeonK2TFFC_CW071115.pdf

...anyway, I think the boom is just starting to really take off with these 3 companies originally trying to slate the drive of Flashlight fans everywhere...(I currently have a flashlight that puts out 6400 Lux @ 1 meter, and cost me 25$...)

Just some interesting reading...
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back