Chauvet Colorado 2 flickering

Ech725

So has anyone had much experience with the Chauvet colorado 2 and programming into the etc express? Power, Strobe, Each color, and zoom are programmed into one sub. They were all working right and then one started flickering. I tried unplugging them and resetting the board. Now 3 of them are flickering and 3 are working with the sliders. Any help would be appreciated.

Yea, was just about to post. Sounds like a frame rate problem, as long as you've checked the usual suspects (Cables, terminators, etc.)
Might also try the frame rate softener by DFD. DMX Decelerator

IF you go into the settings of the console - what you are looking for is a setting called DMX Speed. It is probably set to Max. Take it to one of the slower options. And try it again. Chauvet has had this problem for years with many of their products. But this is the first I have heard of it with the Colorado line.

IF you go into the settings of the console - what you are looking for is a setting called DMX Speed. It is probably set to Max. Take it to one of the slower options. And try it again. Chauvet has had this problem for years with many of their products. But this is the first I have heard of it with the Colorado line.

Ok. So I realized that 1 of the six is getting power from SR and five are getting power from SL. I reconnected the extension cord to the SR instrument then the five on the SL. The one on SR was flickering as soon as it was plugged in. I turned on the board and changed the speed from max to the slowest. The five on SR worked fine. The SL just kept flickering. After that, I changed the dmx speed to max again and 3 of the working 5 started flickering again. So the DMX speed did help but why is the other one SR freaking out?? They were all working 2 days ago. They began flickering when the LD started using the RFU. He kept using the RFU for conventional instruments and board for the colorados. Could that mess with the signal?

I can't troubleshoot until tomorrow because I have to move some of the scenery to bring in the electric.

Try powering them all off of one AC source. Could be you also have a ground loop problem going on. Framing does appear to be part of the problem, but the core problem may be the signal being partly obscured by by an AC ripple on the data line. DMX is pretty hardy, but pin #1 is usually tied to the case of the unit through a low resistance, which can allow ground loops to occur.

Try powering them all off of one AC source. Could be you also have a ground loop problem going on. Framing does appear to be part of the problem, but the core problem may be the signal being partly obscured by by an AC ripple on the data line. DMX is pretty hardy, but pin #1 is usually tied to the case of the unit through a low resistance, which can allow ground loops to occur.

I was able to troubleshoot today. I made sure they were powered by one ac source. Turns out I had a bad dmx cable. But I believe slowing framing also helped. At the moment, there is no more flickering. Thanks for all the help.

... Turns out I had a bad dmx cable. ...
If you don't mind sharing, what was wrong with it?
Pins 2&3 swapped?
Bad solder joint? / Broken conductor?
No connection at one end of pins 1,2,or 3?
Pin 2 or 3 shorting to pin 1, or to chassis ground?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back