Chauvet Hurricane Haze 2d - Review

jagwirez

Here's a brief personal review of the Chauver Hurricane Haze 2d. Right now you can get it for about $270 at northernsound.net. Northern Sound and Lights has, hands down, the best prices for Chauvet products.

The hazer comes with a remote, which is useful for DJs and smaller events. It also handles 3-pin dmx. The fan and haze both operate at 5 different speeds. I haven't been able to test the haze output enough. It does seem like it doesn't have the best control on how much it puts out. The fan does adjust accordingly. There is a quirk with the dmx control. You can find a video on youtube (search hurricane haze 2d dmx), where the guy shows that using a dmx address higher than a two-digit number results in the fan not working right. I have confirmed that. I even found that setting the address to 98 (98-99) still has problems. I set it to somewhere around 59-60 and it works fine.

The haze works extrememly well in my opinion. It fills the room very quickly, and it has a nice hang time. It spreads evenly so it's not cloudy except for near the machine where its pumping out. The fluid is cheap. You can get a gallon for about $18. I don't know the actual consumption yet, as I haven't used it enough to see how quickly it consumes verses the advertised figure.

Does this compare to a Radiance or Unique 2? No. I have had to privelege to use both of those machines and they are very impressive. If I had the money, I would favor the Unique 2 over the Radiance. However do not think badly about the Radiance, it is an excellent machine. But if you only have a few hundred dollars to spend and you need some decent haze, then the Hurricane Haze 2d would not be a waste.

I have to do more testing on this to see about how much space it can actually handle. It easily filled our stage which is roughly 60ft wide x 30ft deep. I need to do some more airflow management to get it around the room and see how it handles. I'll add to this when I get more info.

could you post a pic of the inner workings of it? they look alot like my le maitre neutron xs, I want to see if they are identical inside too. thanks!

... There is a quirk with the dmx control. You can find a video on youtube (search hurricane haze 2d dmx), where the guy shows that using a dmx address higher than a two-digit number results in the fan not working right. I have confirmed that. I even found that setting the address to 98 (98-99) still has problems. I set it to somewhere around 59-60 and it works fine. ...
Thank You!

I currently own the Hurricane Haze 2D and for the last few weeks couldn't figure out what was wrong with the fan in DMX mode so I took it back to the place of purchase and swapped it out with another one. Set the new one up and had the same erratic fan issue. I was using a DMX address of 167. Bummer. Now I have to shuffle a few device addresses around to make room to get this haze machine in the double digits, but thanks to your post, at least I know it's a manufacturer defect. Chauvet support plead ignorance to the DMX addressing issue when I called them.

Also, just for reference, I'm running Freestyler 3.5.0 with a Enttec DMXUSB Pro and true DMX cables.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back