Chauvet MiN Spot.

What Icewolf said... he and I both own them.

I've got a little board from AMDJ/chauvet/Elation (can't remember at the moment... is there really a difference?) that I purchased just for my two min-spots. I paid about $150 for it.

What is your application? They are cute but not very bright. I'm using them for teaching basic DMX setup, programing, and color mixing. I can't think of many straight theater applications for them unless you had a LOT of them. They wouldn't be bad for DJ use.

Thanks folks, to be honest I don't really belong here, I'm not a lighting professional, I use one of these among other units to create colour and ambience for my drumset, so I sneaked on here since you are the guys to ask.
Do I need a Chauvet DMX 40B controller for colour mixing, or something smaller?, not sure if this is the one you mention.

Thanks folks, to be honest I don't really belong here, I'm not a lighting professional, I use one of these among other units to create colour and ambience for my drumset, so I sneaked on here since you are the guys to ask.
Do I need a Chauvet DMX 40B controller for colour mixing, or something smaller?, not sure if this is the one you mention.

If you want to learn. You belong here! This site is about teaching and learning. We can handle small DJ gear questions. I even promise to type slow enough that even a drummer can read. ;)

Yes, The Chauvet DMX 40B would do it. If you only need a few fixtures looks like the Chauvet Obey 10 will handle up to 8 fixtures and appears to run about $90. I'm not sure if there is anything else you sacrifice besides the number of fixtures.
American DJ/Elation has a couple of options as well. I think they are a little better quality but cost more "DMX Operator" looks about the cheapest at around $200.

Chevvies can you tell us a little more:
-Give us the specific number of lights and types that you want to control. (what else besides a minspot?)
-What's your budget?
-What do you want them to do? Change colors from song to song? A sound activated mode that changes with the beat? Elaborate pre programed chase sequences?
-Are you using dimmer packs as well.

Beyond that this sounds like a job for BillESC. He's a dealer and sells a lot of products that are targeted at the DJ/small band market (Chauvet/Elation/AMDJ and others). "Selling" is not allowed in the CB forums so what he can say here is restricted a bit. I'm sure if you explain a little more about my questions above he can make a product recomendation in your price range. Bill's a regular and he'll probably be back to comment more on this thread, but if you don't mind a little low pressure sales and want more information you can contact him directly too (see his signature above).

Last edited:
Thanks, does the Obey 10 do RGB colour mixing?

You are still here! Yes it will. You set up the controller board to control all of the attributes of one fixture. So you select the fixture and then you have a slider for pan, a slider for tilt, a slider for Red, Green, Blue, intensity, Gobo Selection, gobo rotation speed and direction, 16 attributes total on the Min Spot

You mess around with the sliders until you get the look you like then record it. Then you have the option of either selecting looks one at a time or you can string them together and run them automatically.

Am I right that these boards can do both Bill?

I just edited that last post above to contain some more information please re-read it and answer. Like I said Bill's the expert with these sorts of products here. Most of the members here either don't use moving lights at all or we use ones that cost several thousand each. But we are happy to help if you want to learn

Sorry gafftaper et al, I had to dash out to work, only managed to read the first half of your reply.

I don't need a lot, it's a very small task compared to what you guys deal with.

I'm a drummer who has been fascinated with light since a child, and still am, moving heads mesmerised me and I couldn't believe I could get one for £200 to give my kit some mood and ambience.

All I have is the Minspot, an LEDJ Color Burst, and a Chauvet DJ LED Colorbank (which in my naivety doesn't appear to have any DMX possibilities, and may be replaced on the floor). Budget is probably commensurate with the cost of the above devices.

Sound active to the beat would probably be best, as long as it isn't strobe-fast, until I learn a bit more.

No dimmers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back