Chauvet MiN Spot.

Yeah it's less than $700 for two spots and a dmx55. I just have to get my dean's approval. How sweet! Let the students go nuts playing with them. Don't have to worry about lamp life. Small and easy to set up independent of the main system. What a great teaching tool!

I Just ordered two mini spots and a DMX 55 to control them. What an exciting teaching tool!

Hmm, do I want a spot and a wash, or two spots?

I decided on two spots. While the wash might have better practical use in my theater, I figure the spots do more tricks so for my educational purposes they made more sense. The spots are also almost as bright as a household 100 watt bulb.

Do these things have white LEDs in them?

No. They just have RGB mixing, which can (in theory) create a decent white, and in practicality this usually plays out. It ain't perfect, but it's pretty good, and has come a long way in the past three years. There are white LED's available now, but they aren't true white. True white LED's are, as mentioned, prohibitively expensive.

Do these things have white LEDs in them?

My guess is that mixed white isn't very good on these. The best mixed white I've seen is on the Selador strips... and they cost WAY more than these little guys.

Woohoo! My MiN Spot has shipped, if all goes well it will be in on the 12th. Huzzah for new toys!

As in, using it as a crowd scanner from 12 feet from something such as a low ceiling or a tripod stand?

Things to bear in mind. The MiN Spot only has a 13˚ beam angle, so it is going to produce a very small field especially on short throws. Also according to the DMX chart, there is no user focus control... It is an effect light, probably best used like in Chauvet's display at LDI, or for throwing some patterns through haze. This is not a fixture for lighting people.

For lighting a person, you might look at a pair of MiN washes or a Chauvet Q-Wash LED with 30 degree lenses for the LEDs.

Things to bear in mind. The MiN Spot only has a 13˚ beam angle, so it is going to produce a very small field especially on short throws. Also according to the DMX chart, there is no user focus control... It is an effect light, probably best used like in Chauvet's display at LDI, or for throwing some patterns through haze. This is not a fixture for lighting people.

Good point on the beam angle. Glad you caught that. I will probably get a wash.

For lighting a person, you might look at a pair of MiN washes or a Chauvet Q-Wash LED with 30 degree lenses for the LEDs.

Good idea on the Q-wash, but it's out of our price range.

Pay attention to the output. The spot is the "bright" one at 100 foot candles while the wash is only 64 foot candles... I believe that's something along the lines of the output of a 75 watt bulb and a 60 watt bulb in your kitchen at home.

Don't get me wrong, these are fun and I'm going to have a lot of fun teaching with the two I'm getting but they are not going to rock your world with output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back