Chauvet MiN Spot.

again... depends on your definition of "fine" unfortunately they don't seem to include a real photometric chart. The wash says it puts out 64 foot candles, but there's no sense of how bright it is at any distance... or where that measurement was taken. It's going to be a fun little trick in a dark room, but it's going to get washed out and overpowered by most any other light you have on.

again... depends on your definition of "fine" unfortunately they don't seem to include a real photometric chart. The wash says it puts out 64 foot candles, but there's no sense of how bright it is at any distance... or where that measurement was taken. It's going to be a fun little trick in a dark room, but it's going to get washed out and overpowered by most any other light you have on.

the only other lights on would be some room floods @ 10% would it make the people show up? the scenario is that we have a circle where we do the ceremonies for a medieval-themed weekly event. the people come in down a bash in a dark room to the circle. We want to follow them with the light so that the are visible until they get to the circle. we are on a very limited budget.

Unfortunately the photometric data on the website is quite poor. It should be ok, but I can't find the data to really guarantee one way or the other. Anybody else see some Photometric data that I didn't find?

We have a Minspot running in our warehouse as I type this. The warehouse is lit with six 400w metal halide high bay fixtures. It is easy to see the Min's patterns and colors as it streaks across the 20' high ceiling. It is not however as bright as a 250w halogen scanner would be.

Thanks Bill. So it sounds like it'll work for what you want Padawan.

Despite how it may a little low on the input scale, its size and small gadgetty perks are pretty neat. Maybe a good Santa gift if people can get that discount price :)

Just talked to a guy at Chauvet, he said that the 64 footcandles was measured at one meter.... :evil: grr metric...

I think that would mean about 5 footcandles at 12 ft. So would that be enough to see the person with all of the room lighting at about 10%?

My MiN Spot came today!

It is soooo cute! I haven't had a chance to hook it up to a console because mine are in use in a show right now, but the sound active mode is fun in my office. It is a pretty cool little fixture, though it's fan is really loud. It has a manual focus adjustment under the lens, so it can be set to a fixed focus. In terms of intensity, it isn't bad. Color mixing is decent. I will post more later.

My MiN Spot came today!
It is soooo cute! I haven't had a chance to hook it up to a console because mine are in use in a show right now, but the sound active mode is fun in my office. It is a pretty cool little fixture, though it's fan is really loud. It has a manual focus adjustment under the lens, so it can be set to a fixed focus. In terms of intensity, it isn't bad. Color mixing is decent. I will post more later.

CRAP I ordered mine the day after you and they still haven't shipped it!

So, I took it down to my local dealer to show them, and because they have a controller we could hook it up to.

In the box:
1-IEC (it is silly short)
1-Hanging bracket for c-clamp attachment
1-manual
1-fixture
1-warranty card

Here are some of my impressions. Forget mixing to white it doesn't work to well. We think it is because they probably don't have the right combination of LEDs at the right intensity. We did discover that there are two of each color LEDs, which we also wonder how that adds up to 14 watts.

One silly thing is the dimmer/strobe channel. as you go from 0-255 on DMX values it goes from off to full then dims to 0 and then goes to the strobe effects. So to use it in a logical way would require writing a funky dimmer profile in the console.

It's movement is pretty fast, and it is nice that it has 16-bit motion.

The highest temperature I recorded off any part of the case with my IR thermometer was about 100˚F. It's fans are a little loud for something that small.

Intensity is decent. When we played with it in the showroom of the dealer they have big windows and lots of overhead lighting. We could still make out the beam, but it doesn't have huge punch.

It is a pretty cool thing, now I just need to find a real use for it.

...One silly thing is the dimmer/strobe channel. as you go from 0-255 on DMX values it goes from off to full then dims to 0 and then goes to the strobe effects. So to use it in a logical way would require writing a funky dimmer profile in the console...
You've never encountered this before, icewolf08? I'm pretty sure Clay Paky, for instance, is famous for this. Am I correct in assuming there's no "control" channel, even in 13 ch mode? No way to "reset" the fixture or "lamp on" "lamp off" from the console? And the gobo wheel only "rolls" in one direction? Okay, I guess it's not a VL3000.;)

You've never encountered this before, icewolf08? I'm pretty sure Clay Paky, for instance, is famous for this. Am I correct in assuming there's no "control" channel, even in 13 ch mode? No way to "reset" the fixture or "lamp on" "lamp off" from the console? And the gobo wheel only "rolls" in one direction? Okay, I guess it's not a VL3000.;)
There is no reset channel, that is true. Lamp on/off is controlled by the dimmer channel, it does not seem to be a mechanical dimmer, when the dimmer channel is at 0 the LEDs are off. I don't remember from my testing if the gobos can go both directions.

how do you go about striking an led fixture's lamp

Give it enough voltage, and it'll strike - and blow up! I've blown up some LEDs before that have been quite spectacular. Shooting flying pieces of hot plastic across the room. We used a "blast shield" (random piece of plexi that we found) and gloves and full face shields. Don't try this at home, folks.

Haha, good point Pie.

As far as the "control" channel, when I was controlling Mac700's on a Hog2 that gave me no end of grief. Turn the encoder wheel a little to far, and the lamp turns off? I just wanted you to strobe :(

On a related topic, I'm trying to convince the theat. department here to buy two for a light lab...but who knows if they'll move fast enough to get the cheaper ones, if at all.

Got my two Min Spots and DMX55 controller today. The college is closed for two weeks so there's no way to get reimbursed. So until then they are mine to play with at home. The Christmas Tree's going to have a little extra flare this year. My wife's going to kill me but my little boys are loving it. I would currently kill for two 3 pin XLR cables... heading to the music store at nap time.

Initial impressions: Great color. Poor white. They are tiny and not a lot of output but they sure are fun. I think they would be great for department store windows... and maybe a small corner of a night club. Other than that they are limited. I've very happy with them as they will be great for teaching basic wiggly light. To the person who wanted to use them at 12 feet away they will work but it's a pretty small circle of light at that distance. They are pretty tightly zoomed.

More reviews and pictures of a 3 year old and 14 month old running their first intelligent gear to follow...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back