Chauvet Omega 1's - multiple fixtures, different speeds?

Toadie

I have a feeling this may be a noob question but from what I've gathered most DMX items come down to the fixture you're using. I've run through the manuals and I can't seem to find anything on speed adjustment setting, light range adjustments etc. I have two issues perplexing me now.

Setup - I'm getting ready for a halloween party in my barn and I wanted to start early with the lights since I've never run DMX before. Everything is pretty straightforward and working.

Controller - DMX 40
Lights - 4 x Chauvet Omega 1 correctly assigned and all working fine
2 scenes built, one where the lights swing far right, one where the lights swing far left. Nothing complex, just move back and forth in a line. Two on each side of the room.
All lights are mounted the same way.

Issue 1 - Range - It almost seems like one of the lights can't reach as far as the other so I'm wondering if there's a way to adjust the mirror or if there's a limit set that I'm not aware of? Both lights are at 255 when I'm looking at the controller.

Issue 2 - Chase - I load scene one and scene to into Chase one. On my controller in the display I see 1101 and 1102 flip back and forth when I set it to music mode. I believe that tells me the chase is working properly and I've verified that the lights do what I want when I hit scene 101 and 102 manually. When I let it go auto though all the lights move at different speeds which isn't what I was expecting. I guess I was expecting to see all four lights move at the same speed in the same rhythm.

For example, in the space of four beats:

Light one will move L,R,L,R
Light two will move L,RL,RL,R

They may pair up occasionally due to timing but it looks completely random.

The manual says they have three modes they can operate in (stand alone, daisy, DMX) and that DMX will trump them all. The dip switches are set so that they are all individual DMX channels so there is no master / slave set up.

Cheap older mirror fixtures? That's probably why. They wear out and just don't move as quickly or as far and do so at different rates. Your chase rate is probably faster than one or two or three or all four can handle. Try a slow rate of a 4 or 5 count per step of the chase and speed it up from there. Also make sure your fade rate is faster than the speed rate.

Just out of curiosity I took them off DMX and put them into Mater Slave... perfect synchronization, so it looks like I have a choice to make. Run the party with them in Master Slave or keep working on the DMX setup.

I also think my speed slider might not be working on the controller. I move the slider and I don't see any value changes in the display, nor do I notice any difference in the chase speed. I have it set all the way down to 30 min but I think it's still hitting in .1 seconds.

a little annoying.

I'm guessing the cycle time on these lights is 15 minutes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back