CHAUVET OVATION SP3300CW

I'm doubting that a 260w LED is going to have anywhere near the punch to compete with a source 4 front light wash. Chauvet is doing their normal marketting and providing a really high lux number... at 5meters away. Convert that to something a more likely distance and the light starts to look a lot more like you'd expect. You'll pop a little because it's 5600K native instead of 3200, but I don't see it reading at 75' unless everything else is off.

They say a picture is worth 1000 words. This the SP-300CW on the booth right now at USITT. This is at widest beam angle in a partially lit hall. I don’t have a light meter on me, but the wall of the convention center is 145’ away according to my laser disto. Anyone here that wants to come verify is more than welcome! We don’t “marketing-I’ve” our output figures.

Attachments

• E7D626A9-AF6B-4079-8B72-41426711CB89.jpeg
    E7D626A9-AF6B-4079-8B72-41426711CB89.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 461
They say a picture is worth 1000 words. This the SP-300CW on the booth right now at USITT. This is at widest beam angle in a partially lit hall. I don’t have a light meter on me, but the wall of the convention center is 145’ away according to my laser disto. Anyone here that wants to come verify is more than welcome! We don’t “marketing-I’ve” our output figures.
Thank you for the picture. can you send one with a narrow beam?

Thanks for providing the photos. A few things:

1) My "marketizing" comment was directed specifically at the fact that your lux measurements were taken at a distance of 5meters. I'm not sure how many people we expect to use a 9-17° followspot at 5 meters away. It would be nice to see the industry standardize on how/where/what measurements are taken to provide a more reasonable means of comparing different devices, I wonder if theres a working group for that yet...

2) While a picture is worth a thousand words, It's a bit hard to know what words those should be. Given that both you and ETC are at the same tradeshow currently, do you think you could ask them to point five or six source 4 units at the same wall from a reasonable distance? It would be beneficial to see how this light performs in the environment that @lwinters630 (and I imagine many other potential customers) would be interested in using it.

As a follow up (no pun intended) on the Ovation sp300cw. I had a new demo unit in my space and ran it through various test. Compairing old vs new, 75' - 95' throw, no other lights on, some source 4s on, full (all) stage lights on. against white cyc lit with various colors of ETC vivid-Rs. I also ran it with actors on stage in different scenes.

I was very pleased with how bright it was even with full source 4s all arormd it. Also how smooth the controls, dimming, iris to full black, and super quiet super cool.

How much did I like the CHAUVET OVATION SP3300CW? I purchased two of them!

Video an pictures will be coming soon.

Thank you Chauvet and Grand Stage for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back