Chauvet Wireless DMX

Sayen

First off, I realize Chauvet is not top of the line, and possibly not as reliable as other brands. It is in my price range, and I only need a short transmission range. I'm trying to fill in for a lack of DMX wiring in my theater, and running cables to certain positions is unsightly and unsafe.

For those who have used this, can you use multiple receivers with one transmitter? Say, for example, one receiver per electric? Makes sense in my head, but I can't find any info in the specs.

And, while it's cheap, is it reliable-ish? I'm only trying to run several sets of i-Cues at the moment with them, nothing dangerous or super complicated. Or is there a better brand in the same price range?

Musician's Friend prices these around $147, I'm sure cheaper from my local dealer, so they're ideal, and really not much more expensive than coil after coil of DMX cable would be to create a safe situation.

Chauvet isn't gold. I hate to say it, but I would rather use wiring and run it along a wall or (at least in my theater) even a spare conduit. Then again, I have also run DMX cables through air vents.

The problem with wireless is that if interference does break into the signal, it can send your lights hay-wire. I had this happen to me before using MAC250 Entours, and I lost all controll for 15 seconds during a show. Pan, Tilt, Gobo, Color, Shutter, all were lost.

If you CAN go wired, go wired. Anyone will tell you that, including city theatrical. Wireless DMX is made for use on roving units and such, not for main systems. It could work great, or it could fail miserably.

I own a couple of the first generation Chauvet

They're ok. I've used them non- line of sight, and they've worked, but also haven't worked over a shorter distance in a different venue. No idea why. Since I wasn't involved with sound, etc. on either job I don't know what other wireless systems were in use or whether another wireless system was even responsible.

They have a new product. Chauvet but I asked Chauvet if they were cross compatible several weeks ago with no response. I've not used the new product so I don't know if it's superior.

Yes, you can use multiple receivers to one transmitter.

I have three of the units made by Chauvet, and have used them on about 5 shows to date. On one show we had a little trouble for a matinee performance. I changed the frequency (there are two choices on the units) and haven't had any problem since.
That said, the Chauvet wireless runs on the 900 mhz bands, which are shared with wireless phones and many wireless microphones. The more expensive Wireless DMX use the 2.? ghz, which has less interferance and more line of site. My theater is in a small town of 30k and a good 40 miles from any major cities. I noticed that you list Phoenix as your adress. In a large city like that, you might experience many more RF problems. For me the Chauvet Wireless has been great, but I purchased them knowing that they were lesser quality and was happy to see them work in our theater.

I purchased my wireless DMX from Sirs electronics, and from what i've seen, the chauvet and sirs electronic product looks identical, same frequency and everything. I have been satisfied using it for special needs, although the last show i used it for the 3rd day of a 3 day run it started going flaky and made my LED pars start strobing and such and my Trackspot 2 mirrors were going crazy when not in use. Although it did not affect the signal on the T2's when a strong signal was sent to them. but other than that it's been ok. I would not recommend using it for your I-Cues though, still too unreliable to take that chance.

I helped write somewhat of a simple article a few months back about dimming systems and "going wireless". As people have mentioned here if its possible to wire it, I suggest doing it. But everyone has their own needs. In the article in DramaBiz, we talk about when its a good option to go wireless and if you have most of your theatre wired already, its just not cost efficient to change it to wireless. You seem like your not trying to change it all, just a few things that you would like to make wireless. I dont have any experience with the Chauvet brand of the wireless transmitters so I can't exactly give you personal experience on that one. I have had nothing but great feedback on City Theatricals and I have never once had a single problem with it even running it from about 2 blocks away. It is obviously more expensive than Chauvets, but maybe try finding some user reviews of it online. If people have had problems with it, I can assure you if you add the term "problem" after the product it will come up in the top results. (Not to veer you or anyone else from this amazingly helpful site by any means, but if your going to invest in the product and you dont get enough answers here to sooth your question, you should google it with the term "problem" and another with the term "perfect" or "success" as those are the terms most people use when having success or failure with a product and see what people have experienced in the past)

DramaBiz magazine - Article

I'd advise exercising caution when/if buying used equipment from the above vendor.

The product description says
"...we are selling them with Stage-Pin connectors, used 750W lamp and Mega-Clamps for only [deleted] plus shipping. These are in GREAT shape! Some of them have minor scratches, but most of them are practically flawless. These are adjustable angles from 19 to 50 degrees."

However the picture:
proxy.php

shows most fixtures with ETC C-clamp, and fixtures made before the 750W mod. Why anyone would hang a fixture on a meatrack on the two near bars with the with the 1/2"-13 bolt away from them is beyond me. "...adjustable angles from 19 to 50 degrees."? Just as well that they're sold out!

Last edited:
Why are you assuming that I am trying to selling anything to anyone on this site? I never once on here said buy something. If you feel the need to scour our website and find a few flaws even though its taken me months to program that site and slander me on here without knowing anything about me I think that's pretty unprofessional of you. For one, we decided to leave it on our site after it was sold (even marked it sold but to still call because we get alot of random used gear) because with all the theatres in town, and all the used gear we randomly get, sometimes we get similar used gear and don't always have them on the site as quick as we like and its nice for search engines to still draw those search terms to us. We simple take the e-mails from our customers about the used gear that gets stored in our warehouse and sold thru us, or thru their own contacts and we simply re-post it. I "apologize" that they/we allowed the term Mega-Clamps in there because they are obviously ETC's C-Clamps except the 3 little guys randomly in there. As for the adjustable angles, yes, I will admit after paying more attention to the wording on the single sentence it wasn't exactly worded right. It simply meant that they could replace the angles with the extra lenses that ALL of them came with. I see now we probably should have changed it to be more efficient with the wording on that single article on our site. I mentioned earlier, sometimes simple mistakes like the C-Clamp verbiage slip by us, even some inefficient wording that slips thru the cracks very randomly, but thankfully we have experts like yourself that want to point out all the mistakes to simply be rude and hateful because something in their life isn't going right or they feel the need to be the alpha dog in a digital world. We are a legitimate business with a very loyal customer base and proud members of TEA and ESTA. I just find it very rude and even sadder that you have to take a topic about Wireless DMX and turn it into slander.

I apologize to everyone else on here because I by no means even want to argue with you LightStud, and I refuse to reply to anything else you post in this thread about it. I am sorry that I "offended" you somehow by selling used gear on a meatrack on our website. We have had part-time helper in the warehouse (who didn't go to lighting school like you did) for load-ins and out's of gear, shipping and overall keeping it organized and clean any rental or used gear before it goes out the door and I "apologize" that when he hung those fixtures for pictures that he didn't do it according to your method. Because everyone knows that when your storing gear you have to hang it a certain way.. I think that's Lighting 101?.. Maybe its Lighting 102? I am sure with the wealth of your knowledge you have defiantly seen fixtures, dimmer packs, etc. hanging in awkward positions. Maybe he just thought it was very uniformed and appeasing that they all are hung the same way, I am sure he's the only one who knows that. None the less I will be sure to let him know that the way he hangs fixtures for storage is completely inappropriate and it has offended someone online that doesn't even know him.

I am here to try and help anyone I can and to learn from some very knowledgeable people that I have seen post here and I almost feel like an idiot that I am stooping to your level by responding, but I am sick of people out there that think they know everything about everything. So why don't you use alllll that wonderful knowledge that you have in your head that made you point out those mistakes, in that single article after scouring our website and put it to some good use..

Help people and stop looking for reasons to put people down.

I do apologize to the admins, SAYEN and to our vendors on this website.. For those of you that know me, you know we/I are very easy going, honest people.. I hope you guys don't ban me for responded to his slandering message.

EDIT: Apologies to the Vendors and Admins, as well as members. I see your a manufacturer as well after looking at your profile. I believe our only vendor in Cypress is Strand and you are one of our vendors, what compelled you to post such a thing? I just don't understand because we have a great relationship with all of our Vendors. I also apologize for trying to justify a simple mistake in verbiage and I am sure you don't like me now and I hate the fact we even had to have this conversation so publicly. If you do work for Strand (which I am probably sure you do according to your location and occupation) than I am deeply sorry for retorting in such a calm, but harsh fashion as we have been vendors of yours for almost 11 years but what you said was very unappropriated for the topic and its natural to defend your lifeline. Feel free to PM me or call me if you feel like discussing anything more and please keep the topics, on topic to help.

Last edited:
I have offended you, and for that, I apologize. I was merely pointing out some misrepresentations, un-intentional I'm sure, that I saw within seconds of visiting your site.

I also apologize to ALCON for straying from the topic.

The comment regarding the C-clamps was intended to educate, not criticize. It appears prior "What's wrong with this picture?" posts have proved educational.

You are completely right about the "What's wrong with this picture?". Like you mentioned in the PM, I have seen to many shotty ebay ad's as well. lol.. and I appreciate the fact that you are looking out for everyone on the board, but it was just an honest mistake which I think you understand. Especially considering the quality of the ETC C-Clamps and verbiage for the lenses. I do appreciate the fact you have made me pay more attention to the customer e-mails we have our administrative assistant post. We will be carefully reviewing them now.. ;)

I graciously accept your apologize and I hope you accept mine, as it is just as sincere.

I know I mentioned I wouldn't post a reply, but I don't want any hard feelings with anyone.

I am sorry for venting in your topic ALCON. It was very inappropriate place to do it. None the less, I hope you get some more responses from people that have used the product as I am curious about its performance as well. :)

Heh, I love this place.

Thank you all for comments on the Chauvet wireless. I had searched the forums, and some older posts were quiet positive regarding wireless DMX, just not this system. Along with your fantastic responses, when I called the two local vendors I typically deal with, one just about refused to price them for me, and the other started laughing gave me a lecture about purchasing any wireless gear for under $200. Both positive phone calls, they're watchin' out for me.

I still may try these, somewhere in the distant future, but for now I'll bump them to the back burner. For the cost, by the time I purchase more ethernet to DMX adapters and cable to make the run the wireless would be cheaper, so it might make a fun experiment. Right now I'll yield to wisdom and experience and take the advice here. I'll report back if I ever try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back