Cheap amp and speakers

Hughesie

Hi i will make it short (like my budget)

i need a two speakers and a cheap amp

or some powered speakers

mY Budget is about five hundred dollars

i have stero XLR points on the back of my consolde

As avkid stated, we need to know more specifics about your particular application. The number of people to be covered, the type of room, whether you are willing to accept new or used equipment, whether there is any built in system or wiring, whether you need to put the amp and/or speakers away from the console, etc., all play into the recommendation we will give you.

By the way, I don't mean to be harsh, but please spell and grammar-check your post before click submit. A professional appearance makes people take you much more seriously. :)

Yah, way too general. For starters though, check used gear...for that price it's your best bet. Also, look into Behringer, American Audio, JBL, Wharfdale, Crown, and QSC to start on the hunt for gear. To be honest though, even if you were to cheap out and get the lowest end stuff (off eBay even) for an amp it's about $300 plus shipping, and speakers are about $200 each plus shipping, and that's for the cheapest, worst, speakers you could ever get.

Your best bet is probably to go with powered speakers and you're not going to get super powerful ones for that price.

The DLS 15P an Active speaker from American Audio shoud meet or exceed your needs for about $ 300.00 per cabinet.

• High Powered 15-inch, 2-way speaker
• Die cast woofer with 3-inch voice coil
• High compression 1.75” driver
• Built-in high-powered amplifier system
• ABS nylon fiber cabinet with handle
XLR & RCA line inputs
• Two microphone inputs (XLR & 1/4” stereo) with separate microphone volume control
• Treble, bass and volume output control
• Trapezoidal design
• Flyable & stand mountable
• Floor monitor brackets included
• 120V/220V switchable
• Sensitivity: 109 dB/m/w
• Dimensions (LxWxH): 13.6" x 16.5" x 26.4 / 345 x 419 x 671 mm
• Weight: 61 lbs. / 28 kgs.

Studio application

small

Xlr input

outdoor use also (backyard)

Please reread what we have posted above. In particular:

We need to know more specifics about your particular application. The number of people to be covered, the type of room, whether you are willing to accept new or used equipment, whether there is any built in system or wiring, whether you need to put the amp and/or speakers away from the console, etc., all play into the recommendation we will give you.

And it would be nice if you used complete sentences so we can clearly understand what you are trying to communicate. We want to help you - we really do. But you need to communicate with us so we can help you.

avkid said:
What is this, all of a sudden we are expected to use proper English??
8O 8O 8O

Heh, I don't mean that we should be required to use the Queen's English, but at least attempt to make meaningful sentences. I think you'll agree that one can't make heads or tails of what Hughesie89 was trying to convey.

Although I will admit that one of my major pet peeves is the use of language shortcuts in anything but IM conversations (e.g., e-mail and web forums). It's my personal opinion that people should write online just as they would on a (semi-formal) letter to someone.

Is it just me or are you guys being rather tough on this kid when others on this forum write similar posts? At least one of you has made more ambiguous posts than any other and I am somewhat astounded by your comments.

In his second post, Hughsie answered the questions that were put to him and whilst it was not is a well constructed sentence, it did provide the information. One response to that post was this:

XLR input on what, the speakers or amp?

Had you read the initial post, you would know that his console has XLR outputs and he would therefore want XLR inputs on either the amp or the powered speakers (Note this was also in the initial post).

What is evident to me is that he is obviously young and probably inexperienced and therefore doesn’t really know what he wants. This is something that often makes a person self-conscious and not want to write too much, as it will make this matter worse for them should they post something that is incorrect.

The inputs on the amp or powered speakers don’t really matter, other than being balanced or unbalanced. This is why we have adaptors.

I thought that this forum was a place to learn and one of the things that I really liked about it was that nobody was ridiculed for asking a question. Sure, ask for more info if need be but there are ways to do it. I too prefer to read something that is well written and covers the topic in sufficient detail but if I got picky with every poorly written or misspelt post on this forum, I would have given up and left long ago.

I am somewhat disappointed, as now it would appear that this is what has happened here. One day you are saying that we need to attract more members and the next day you are driving them away.

Well done BillESC for providing a good response based upon the info contained in the initial post.

I really have to agree with Mayhem on what he just wrote. Worst of all, this is the same guy that everyone sent nasty messages to because of his avatar and went through and left a message on every post he had posted on. Come on guys.

Hughesie89, the reason I didn't post a response to your question is because I couldn't find anything better than what Bill had posted for your price range. I did find something now though:

http://www.djmart.com/american-audio-pxi-10p-powered-speaker1.html

These are 200w powered speakers by American Audio which is listed at $249.99 on the website. If you click on the negotiate live feature you can get a price below the Minimum Advertised Price.

Once again, sorry for how rude others on the forum were and we hope that you'll stay with us as I'm sure there's something that each and every one of us could learn from you.

Andy, those are also 33.5 watts each, as oppose to the 200 watts each for the ones I suggested for the same price. Seems as though the Yamaha's are much more expensive than they're worth.

I'll revise my suggestion and recommend he look at the S5 Tapco studio Monitors. These are active monitors designed and engineered by Mackie and are available for only $ 349.00 a pair.

Very nice for the money.

BTW: they offer XLR, TRS and RCA inputs.

Is he looking for more monitor or more PA speaker? Where are you going to use it more?

I'd like to apologize if my comments came across as harsh or mean. I truly want to help, but I can't do so unless I understand the problem - which I don't at present.

Hughesie89, please don't feel as if we are driving you away. We're not by any means. We just want you to elaborate on what kinds of things you want to do with this system. Do you want to play back music, mix sound for a band, listen to things you just recorded, or something entirely different? This will help us recommend a system ideal for your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back