The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Cheap desktop mic stands...

Discussion in 'Sound, Music, and Intercom' started by ProfessorAire, Feb 16, 2004.

1. ProfessorAire

ProfessorAire Member

It might sound really weird, but... I was jamming with a couple friends this weekend and we'd all crammed into my room and we wanted to do a little recording of some stuff we'd written, so I went through my adapter box and grabbed a mic and plugged it into my computer. The problem was when it came time to recording vocals we needed a stand and I don't own any... So I grabbed the first thing that I saw. A blank CD spindle.

You know what I'm talking about; those spindles that blank CDs some on when you buy them. I stuck the microphone clip on top of the spindle and, surprise surprise, it fit perfectly. It isn't the nicest looking of solutions, but if you're ever in need of a desktop mic stand, or just a stand that is really low, then look no further than your computer and that pack of blank CDs you've got sitting next to it.

2. The_Terg

The_Terg Active Member

:p

Normal practice for me dictates that i use large amounts of gaffers tape to simply affix the mic to the desk or monitor... I will have to remember to try that...

Two of the more 'bootleg' things I did:

1) Taped some cheap sampson mic right into the horn of my Baritone sax during a jam session. Despite being naturally lacking in highs, it easily served its purpose.

2) Took my pair of AKG - 66 headphones and taped the mic right to the side of one ear. Voila! Cheap headset mic!

3. cruiser

cruiser Active Member

OMG.... lol i have to admit, i have been known to gaff mics to broom handles!

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Active Member

My favourite cheap mounting method was one time in New Orleans where I saw a jazz upright bass player wrap an SM57 in foam and shove it down into the part where the strings meet the body agan under the bridge. Worked fine; I just don't want to know if that's damaging the bass or not :/