"Cheap" DJ Wash lighting

DGotlieb

OK, so I'm out of my depth here, if some one asked me for recommendation of actual quality gear I would have an answer or know what to look for.

However, I have been asked by our teen group for some cheap lighting for their open mic nights that take place in an ballroom. So it needs to be super easy and quick to load in by completely unqualified and barely trained teens.
So I am thinking;
-foot lighting as opposed to trees
-I want a decent wash to cover the small (10'x10') stage area from up close (most cheap DJ lights seem to be very tight beam angles)
-it sure would be nice if they can daisy chain power (probably not going to happen)
-disposable quality is fine if they are cheap enough
-they should just be on and wont ever need a clean fade out)

their budget is only about $300 I just have no knowledge about anything that low end
anyone have any suggestions on things too look for?

Search for "DJ light package" on a site like Amazon and pick whatever strikes your fancy. They are all likely made in the same factory to the same exacting standards (wow! I managed to keep a straight face) at that price point.
that is where i have been looking was just hoping someone was like "this model actually has a beam angle of more then 10deg" or "look for it to say [insert random marketing thing] because that means it's actually usable for a wash light" because nothing at that price point actually has any information

this is my favorite illogical cheap marketing so far " With a 60-degree beam angle, produce wide washes and long distance stage lighting effects" ...60-deg...long distance effects...

but I may have found my winner even if they don't know how beam angles work

better to buy 8 at like $25 a unit with a questionable tight beam and figure out a way to put some rosco optisculpt on them.
or 4 at like $50 a unit that have 60 deg beams... supposedly.
I think I know which ones you're talking about... (See my post history)
The "60 degree" (I never actually measured but they had a good spread) OPPO worked well for general lighting on a play in a ~12'x10' platform in a 9' rafter-height room.
The many-separate-LED $20ish/unit ones were great for up-lighting color changing effects on a bandstand for a proscenium stage production in a ~350 seat house.
I've got one of the former and two of the latter in auto-color-change mode pointed at my tinseled Christmas tree in my dining room right now, the former is overpowering the latter but it's also ~5' away while the latter are ~10' away. I still think it is much brighter apples-to-apples though. Color rendition is better due to colocated (or at least much closer) LEDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back