Cheap, easy intercom setup with text message also.. WOW

Yep, dedicated wifi. It was on a mixed mode b/g network. Below is a screen shot from when I fired it up last night. It was bouncing between 2 ms and 18 ms but rarely over.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 263
Yep, dedicated wifi. It was on a mixed mode b/g network. Below is a screen shot from when I fired it up last night. It was bouncing between 2 ms and 18 ms but rarely over.
Were there any 802.11b devices on the network (fairly rare these days)? If so, then the wifi bandwidth availible might have been quite low; but even if it does require a dedicated 802.11g network to get these results it seems very practical for many applications.

I know why you seem to have unreasonably low numbers compared to ours, Chris. What you are reporting is network ping/latency, while others and myself are posting the delay in the voice transmission itself.

When I tested it, I basically set it up like a Dual FFT, just instead recording spectrographs. This allowed me to detect total audio latency from input to output in a typical usage scenario, from the moment the SM speaks to the instant the board op hears the call. For a constant stream, with medium quality, this is around 150ms. For a short burst (such as with PTT), we see a latency of around 350-500ms. Regardless of the network latency, what we need to know is the total audio latency, as this is what truly affects our show. Personally, I think that latencies within 200ms will be suitable to call a show on. The PTT isn't an issue, since you'll mostly use it for acknowledgment rather than an instant and precise cue.

just ran under show conditions last night during a rehearsal. 1 modern pc in the booth which is also our backup enttec dpro computer, 1 older hp thin client SL 1 very old xp machine SR 3 bluetooth wireless headsets (logitech h800) so everyone can rove and roam. pc's all wired to router cat5e. Cut in my cell phone with a client via the wireless to test as well earlier. Very little latency. extremely high quality voice. Happy techies.. compared to Family service radios on the belt to wired headsets, every one is very happy.

as to the latency concerns.. that may wax more to the philosophical, and involve some trust in your operators... Precisely timed cues will be late anyhow, even with the best intercom, if you absolutely insist on calling them and expect human physiology to react in time. Call "Ready 5 for gunshot.".. or doorbell, or rooster..or lightning.. but then it's gotta be a visual, or script coordinaton anyhow.. If you are getting them executed on time.. You don't cue each line an actor gives for goodness sake.. let go a bit. I will guarantee you your operator is probably anticipating you. Bringing up lights after a scene change, go ahead.. call clear.. but you tell me if your audience will notice if the lights are down for 15 seconds or 15.5 seconds I think not. If you are an absolutely professional theater, and a total control freak, buy the big stuff.. :)

After reading this thread, I decided to give Mumble a try. Been using FRS radios for the camera guys and it works, but I'm always open to something different! :) Have two servers set up - one campus-wide and one local to the sanctuary on a completely different wifi system. Seems good so far, thanks for the suggestion! Will let you all know how things go here.

I know why you seem to have unreasonably low numbers compared to ours, Chris. What you are reporting is network ping/latency, while others and myself are posting the delay in the voice transmission itself.

When I tested it, I basically set it up like a Dual FFT, just instead recording spectrographs. This allowed me to detect total audio latency from input to output in a typical usage scenario, from the moment the SM speaks to the instant the board op hears the call. For a constant stream, with medium quality, this is around 150ms. For a short burst (such as with PTT), we see a latency of around 350-500ms. Regardless of the network latency, what we need to know is the total audio latency, as this is what truly affects our show. Personally, I think that latencies within 200ms will be suitable to call a show on. The PTT isn't an issue, since you'll mostly use it for acknowledgment rather than an instant and precise cue.

You may very well be correct. I do not have the tools to test in that manner. I would be curious how your reading compares to the network latency displayed on the device?? In any case, I agree; I have yet to experience an issue where Mumble was too slow. There is a noticable delay if the person is right next to you and you can hear, but not so much that it has caused me to miss a call. (Put on headphones from one device and talk using another the delay makes you talk like you've had one too many at the bar!)

as to the latency concerns.. that may wax more to the philosophical, and involve some trust in your operators... Precisely timed cues will be late anyhow, even with the best intercom, if you absolutely insist on calling them and expect human physiology to react in time. Call "Ready 5 for gunshot.".. or doorbell, or rooster..or lightning.. but then it's gotta be a visual, or script coordinaton anyhow.. If you are getting them executed on time.. You don't cue each line an actor gives for goodness sake.. let go a bit. I will guarantee you your operator is probably anticipating you. Bringing up lights after a scene change, go ahead.. call clear.. but you tell me if your audience will notice if the lights are down for 15 seconds or 15.5 seconds I think not. If you are an absolutely professional theater, and a total control freak, buy the big stuff.. :)
I couldn't agree more. Trust your operators. The only calls I wait for are during blackouts and I can't see. Otherwise I almost always cue off of a line or action of an actor.

I've worked under every kind of SM as far as cue calling goes - from practically flying solo to having a drill sergeant in my ear. I know that the operators (myself included), know our cues well enough. Still, I've had SMs call my individual lightning cues instead of working off the lines like they were supposed to. In the end, there's a rhythm to it, and I feel like the latency created by the software is negligible enough not to prevent that rhythm from being built. Whatever your workflow - the system will work.

Chris, I did check ping a few moments ago, and it's somewhere around 5ms from once device to another through a wireless - router - wireless style connection (have to check using the system because I can't find that data on TS3 right now... can't remember where to find it). The delay is definitely a software issue, not a hardware issue. Data can only be compressed so fast, after all.

well i setup a local server and have successfully interfaced a computer client with my RTS Zeus intercom and have a few android clients working. The quality is surprisingly good, and i don't think the the 150-200ms audio latency is enough to worry about. anybody managed to make your own server public? or is the only way to rent a public server?

There also is something in the .ini file about settings for a public server. I keep mine private and with a password so that there isn't any unwelcomed people trying to connect. Also to change the.ini file you need to go to properties and then security and give the account you are on permission to edit the file or else it won't let you save changes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back