Cheap lights - ADJ Z100

hemismith

I've done larger events that have a budget and rented Source Fours, but I often do small volunteer activities with no budget. Sometimes theatrical and sometimes just musical performances. For that I just use my own trusty old set of PAR64s, and frankly they usually do the job -- we mainly just need to see the people. But I would like to get a few more lights now.

The main problem is I often have a long throw, like 50 feet. So I use narrow spot bulbs in the PARs, but I still hate all the spill. I used to use top hats, but they made balancing the fixtures difficult. So I am looking at other options.

First the expensive ones (which my "boss" may not approve):
Because of the long throw I need a beam narrower than the Source Four Jrs. Of course I could use the shutters, but that would waste light. I thought you used to be able to get a real Source Four 19 under $400 (still more than I want to spend), but they look like closer to $500 now. (And the 14 even more.) The Altman Phoenix looks like a possible alternative.

Of course, everythings's going LED, but most of the cheap ones have few or no photometrics. One possibility though could be the new ADJ Z100, but I couldn't find any comments here about it. You lose one of the main advantages of LEDs - color - but it's no worse than what I have. The low power draw, light weight, and narrow (adjustable) angle are pros. I just don't know how well-controlled the beam is, although pictures on their web site look pretty good.

In doing some reading here though it sounds like cheap LEDs typically have poor dimming characteristics, which may or may not be a deal breaker for me. There are a few other LEDs in the 100-watt range that might be bright enough (angle is questionable), but I assume that's with all colors on and if I just use white they would be a lot dimmer.

The last option is something like the Source Four PAR or Star Par. I tried the Source Four once a long time ago and of course it still has spill but was certainly a better quality light than my PARs. A pain to change the lens though. I heard the Star Pars were better. They have all come up in price since I last looked though.

Otherwise I'll just have to get more cheap PARs, if I can find any.

Thanks.

The hazard of ADJ is when things go wrong there are not many support options. The other concern is that it is a 100 watt LED, which usually means a fan is in use. (noise level) You might want to buy/rent one unit and see how it performs. It may work fine, but I would still not want to buy a lot of them due to the support issues. My feelings about the "50,000 hour life" are well expressed on other threads.

The hazard of ADJ is when things go wrong there are not many support options. The other concern is that it is a 100 watt LED, which usually means a fan is in use. (noise level) You might want to buy/rent one unit and see how it performs. It may work fine, but I would still not want to buy a lot of them due to the support issues. My feelings about the "50,000 hour life" are well expressed on other threads.
Thanks, I forgot about the fan, although I don't know if it will be a bother. It would be nice to try one out first but I don't think my local dealers have it.

https://m.usedlighting.com/145/etc-source-four-leko-19-50-deg-
S4 all day under 300. I have even tried to sell some extras for 250 a pop before I gave up.
You could call 4wall direct since you are close hell they might even make a deal with ya.
If you go ADJ buy extra for breakage. Cheap is cheap for a reason.
Thanks, good to know. A little more than I would normally want to pay for a used light, but it looks like they are nicely refurbished and include new bulbs. I was looking for used ones locally but haven't seen any.

I don't use my stuff a lot and am pretty careful with it, but my cheap Elation board did freak out on me last time I used it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back