The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Cheap rack light

Discussion in 'Sound, Music, and Intercom' started by gafftaper, Jul 10, 2019.

1. gafftaper

gafftaper Senior Team Senior Team Fight Leukemia

Theater Manager & T.D.
    I just discovered something amazing and cheap! Sewing machine lights! Strong magnetic mount, very flexible goose-neck, perfect level of output, it's exactly what I've always wanted when I'm trying to figure out something in the back of my rack. I was worried about moving the goose-neck would make it detach, but it holds on tight! It's perfect for just leaving inside your rack, move it wherever you want. This is the one I got for $12 on Amazon. I'm so happy I'm ordering one for each rack in my theater. A big thumbs up from Gaff.
    IMG_20190710_113836.jpg

IMG_20190710_114455.jpg

2. RonHebbard

RonHebbard Well-Known Member Premium Member

@gafftaper GREAT, assuming your racks are ferrous metallic. Less so if your racks are wooden or molded plastic.
    Steer clear of magnetically sensitive devices (And their concealed internal components)
    Toodleoo!
    Ron Hebbard

3. macsound

macsound Well-Known Member

Wow that's amazing. Way better than a $50 BNC light

TimMc and RonHebbard like this.
  4. gafftaper

Theater Manager & T.D.
    I'm skeptical about how durable it'll be compared to the products our industry sells, but I can buy four or five of these to one of those, so if I have to replace them it's not a huge loss. I think because it isn't so rugged, it's much easier to twist around and place in just the right position than the products we typically encounter.

RonHebbard likes this.
  5. macsound

macsound Well-Known Member

Yea absolutely, longevity plays a huge part expically in a rack that's constantly being loaded and unloaded.
    When I wrote this, I was thinking of a particular rack I'm in rather often in a closet. When the room was designed, the overhead fluorescents are mounted to the wall on the front side of the rack and illuminate everything fairly well, except the backside of the 4 racks.
    I'd happily plug this little guy in instead of constantly pulling out my phone light to remove the SD card with the stupid background music.

RonHebbard likes this.
  6. gafftaper

Theater Manager & T.D.
    Yep, I have three racks just like those in different parts of my theater. I bought one for each rack.

RonHebbard likes this.