Cheapo DMX controller?

bobgaggle

Alright I'm usually over in the scenery thread, and I'm not an electrician, hope you guys can help me out here. I'm building some props with lights in them that are hooked up to a DMX decoder, not dealing with batteries or wireless on this one. (just a 4 channel RGBW led tape). Lighting design/control by other. I need a way to just test the system and make sure it works before I send this thing out the door. What widget do I need to buy that I can have in house to test/make sure all my colors are working right?

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 7.18.04 PM.png

If you want to go even cheaper and are willing to mess around with a computer

Most of those little USB-DMX dongles use some kind of FTDI driver and would work with any number of free diagnostic DMX software. Whatever you save is being paid for by the potential headache in getting it to work.

Cheapest solution would be to stop by a church or school and ask if you can root around their closets to find the old Express board hiding out behind the christmas decorations...

This thing isn't the cheapest available, but can do up to 12 channels and can run via AC adapter, or a 9v battery

Elation SDC12 as @rsmentele mentioned above is my go to little DMX tester for just a few faders. I love that it can be battery powered and has both 3 and 5 pin outputs.

Dmx Cat is awesome... also probably a bit more expensive for what you need, which is a basic DMX out to test the LED's. My recommendation would be to get an Enttec OpenDmx USB, or DMX pro, and feed with the free Chamsys MagicQ software. All in cost is Sub $100. You could go even cheaper with the DMXking USB output (Mine works fine with MagicQ).
The only downside is MagicQ has a little bit of a learning curve vs the DMX Cat

If you're just using it for testing, I'd recommend ordering a ChamSys MagicDMX Basic. you have to unplug/replug every 5 hours. But if this is just for testing, this is probably the cheapest/easiest way to go.
$20 for a single universe off your laptop.

you can use any usb to dmx device and freestyler software for a small amount of cash on ebay. all the other options above are good to. if you want fixture profiles to patch for checking then something like chamsys is a good option.

thanks everybody i'll click around through these

Dmx Cat is awesome... also probably a bit more expensive for what you need, which is a basic DMX out to test the LED's. My recommendation would be to get an Enttec OpenDmx USB, or DMX pro, and feed with the free Chamsys MagicQ software. All in cost is Sub $100. You could go even cheaper with the DMXking USB output (Mine works fine with MagicQ).
The only downside is MagicQ has a little bit of a learning curve vs the DMX Cat
An important philosophy: buy good tools when you can. They pay you back. DMXCat qualifies, in spades.

ST

Users who are viewing this thread

Back