Chessebrough, what else are they known by and where can you rent them from

peacefulone61

I am trying to find a few chessebroughs I need 12 in total for 1 1/2" pipe in the Providence RI area. I have called all the local scaffolding places and even gone to a few of them with pictures looking for these wonderful little devices I need for a show and no one has any idea what I am talking about. Is these another name they go by? or does anyone local have them I could rent from their theater. It would be greatly appricates.

The more correct spelling is cheese-borrough, and one of the other main names they're known as in theater is 'coupler clamp', with sub-groups of fixed, swivel, and half. Slang names include CB, cheeseburger and many others. Theater ones tend to be extruded aluminum, construction ones tend to be cast steel. Steel clamps don't always fit onto 2" truss pipes, but do fit on 1 1/2 iron pipe (1.9" actual outer diameter).

I'm surprised that a scaffold company didn't know what one was after seeing a picture, they're pretty common in that world. You might have been asking at too large of a scaffold place, the more industrial types of scaff use tapered wedge pin systems instead of loose pipe clamps, so moving down to DIY tool rental places might yield better results.

High Output should be able to hook you up, or any theatrical supplier really. I've never dealt with their Providence office, but the boston one has a huge selection and they are usually pretty good about shipping around if necessary. "Grid Clamps" is another name I've been seeing them as recently, that's more from the film side of things but they are the same devices.

ATR treehouse right downtown on charles should also have some, give them a call and ask for Tracey, he can probably help you out. I don't have any myself, but if you can't find them I may know a couple people, I'll ask around.

Edit: Another idea is call up URI they rent out some their stuff pretty reasonably, we've been borrowing stuff from them for awhile.

http://www.atrtreehouse.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I was just about to recommend ATR when I've worked with them they had a bunch.

Roto locks, tube locks. Marr has them.

Just as a point of clarification: There is a Major Difference between a Roto Lock and a Cheeseburough clamp. Most notably a roto lock consists of a wire cage with a small wedge-like device that sits between two pipes at right angles to each other and a Chesseburough clamp has two hinged sides held in place via a large nut and hinged bolt mechanism.

I've got a box full of them in the warehouse that I'd offer to you cheap. I'm going there today and will get a count.

Hey Bill,

Depending on how many you've got I might be interested in picking up a dozen. Can you PM me when you get the chance?

While on the topic, I am looking for clamps that will take a 2" pipe on one side and a 1.5" pipe on the other. Rigid, 90 degree clamps are what we want. Any one know where to get these?

While on the topic, I am looking for clamps that will take a 2" pipe on one side and a 1.5" pipe on the other. Rigid, 90 degree clamps are what we want. Any one know where to get these?

Email Doughty and ask them [email protected]
They are very responsive and will might make them for you if they don't have them.

sales @ doughty-usa.com

Last edited:
The same question on the SML revealed
7398.jpg
Catalog # PIPF-0200
Model #: CB107
Fixed 90° Right Angle Cheeseborough, 1½" x 2"

This fits 1.5" inside diameter schedule 40 pipe (1.9" outside diameter) on one side of the clamp, and 2" inside diameter schedule 40 pipe (2.375" outside diameter) on the other side.

For standard cheesebourough that fits 1.5" pipe on both sides of hte clamp, see Related Items below.
Fixed 90° Right Angle Cheeseborough, 1½" x 2" From our friends at Production Advantage. Posted here for posterity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back