Chinese fixtures

Amiers

Renting to Corporate One Fixture at a Time.
Chinese fixtures in national rental house.

Thoughts?

Comments?

Everything else.

Chinese fixtures in national rental house.

Thoughts?

Comments?

Everything else.
Do they work?
Will they be replaced when they fail?
Will they be more affordable for small community groups to hire and give them some new toys to play with?

Questions and questions and more questions.

For me if they do what they say they will do and it works for me I am not that fussy what I get but I am only new to this game and not spoilt by having used the best on the market.
Regards
Geoff

If I know that's what I'm getting, I'm getting spares thrown in, and paying Chinese fixtures prices then I'm ok with it. But it's a big problem if I'm expecting and paying for a sharpie and I get a "beam 300" that I may or may not even have a profile for. The other thing is they had better all be the same identical fixture, especially if it's an LED source. I don't want to deal with fixtures 1-10 being 1st gen and fixtures 11-16 being 2nd gen. Be in a slight different profile, or LEDs that don't quite match. If I know ahead of time then maybe I can or can't work with that. But I'm not going to be happy if half my programming time turns into moving fixtures around so stuff matches and figuring out the different quirks from one generation to the next.

Last edited:
The other thing is they had better all be the same identical fixture, especially if it's an LED source. I don't want to deal with fixtures 1-10 being 1st gen and fixtures 11-16 being 2nd gen. Be in a slight different profile, or LEDs that don't quite match.
It's not just the generic no-name Chinese fixtures, remember a few years back and the problems with Altman Specta Cycs? The major issue was someone ordering multiple units at the same time and receiving units with different firmware. If the firmware could be updated on site it would only be a small inconvenience but they had to go back to the mothership for the updates. Oh and the firmware oops was visible.

Besides all that... What is the quality of light coming from the Chinese LED? I hate those low CRI lights that look so "digital" in full saturated colors. I would immediately demand a refund. But if the colors are good, everything else is uniform across them, and the price is right... Yeah, I might rent them. Depends a lot on my budget at the time and if they are affordable.

The biggest thing is being honest and open about what they are. There are a lot of clients that are happy to trade the reliability for more fixtures or more output. As long as the price is low and there are plenty of spares, it can work well. It does require a very dedicated quality control process and repair on the rental house's side to ensure they're sending out functioning equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back