Chocolate gel?

Ever do a show with lisa presley. She hates light, and has a way of turning off people. I did a show once with her, she said to kill the spots so we did, then she kept on saying it was too bright, we were running our 60k at about 20%. She was barely lit.

You're not getting it! I'll type slower this time.
R3407 (Full CTO) + R97 (0.3ND) ≈ R99.
Sorry, but foregoing all math, and relying on my eyes (which is sometimes all that matters with lighting) R97+R3407 most certainly does not equal R99.
High-school kids: pay attention in Algebra class. You may need it someday!
Use your common sense too. Oh and remember that any time you combine gels, you have to think about your transmission rates differently. If you are using two gels with a 50% transmission rate, then your total light output is only 25%, or 50% of 50%.
It's not that i dislike chocolate color media, it's just that I don't understand some people's love of it. And you don't have to "respect" my dislikes or likes. As TimMiller so eloquently stated, use what works for you (and the production).
Its not the love or hate of a color that makes it valid, its the usefulness. And I think others will agree with me that our swatchbooks are too thin. I never seem to be able to find the color I really want even with Rosco, Lee, Gam, and Apollo in the mix. I have been known to use R99 by itself (once as a downlight color, and once in a gobo wash), I've also used it in combination with R321 and others to get something I couldn't find as a standard color. Personally, I've never been able to imagine a time when I would even consider using R96, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have uses somewhere.

Ever do a show with LisaMarie Presley? She hates light, and has a way of turning off people. I did a show once with her, she said to kill the spots so we did, then she kept on saying it was too bright, we were running our 60k at about 20%. She was barely lit.
Ray Charles once told my roommate the lights were too bright! What Ray meant was it was too warm on stage.

Was the follow spot operator (Trouperette) for a Michael Martin Murphy Show at Cain's Ballroom in about 1981. No intercom. He played the Wildfire intro 3 times before I stopped wondering why he was playing in the dark.
That guy?? Did a show for him in Doyelstown PA (what feels like a half-century ago!) Talk about your chocolate gels and running dimmers at 25%! Guy was more light phobic then a roach!

Chocolate has its uses for sure. You cannot get the same color just by dimming the light. I am LD for a show that features a lot of black acrobats and its great for them. It lights their dark skin in a nice way. Also for more theatrical work its useful to make light a bit more grungy without dimming it. I have also just discovered Lee 744 Dirty White and am looking forward to trying that!

Well that's the key then. Chocolate gel doesn't work in Ohio, but is okay everywhere else.:rolleyes:

It doesn't work in Texas then either.

In all fairness, I just never got around to using it. Never felt the need to. It might look awesome, but just never around to it.

Mike

I have to say, I really enjoy chocolate. I also like R99. ;p

But when it comes to R99, It may just be me, but I see it as a color that is both warm and cool. Relatively of course. I have used it in plots to be a contrasting color. For example, In our Black Box, where we rely heavily on s-faders due to a low circuit count, it is great to have R99. When I hit actors with a warm color, the chocolate seems to have an almost purple feel. if I then fade to something cooler, it seems to take on a much more amber feel.

This may be a load of crap, and I would love to hear thoughts. HAHA I am admittedly not as seasoned in my use of color. I am slowly trying to expand my palette.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back