Choosing a USB Sound Card/Device

It doesn't really solve the problem as most onboard cards have major power issues.:rolleyes:

i would still look for a cheap external thing that at least gives you a ground lift.

There are some quite good desktop sound cards out there, and most desktops with a discrete sound card aren't too bad. It's something about having to squish everything on top of each other that does nasty things to laptop audio quality...

If you have a new desktop with full-size PCI slots, check out the M-Audio Delta 44 ... you should be able to get one used in the $75 range. It has four ins, four outs, and really packs a punch. Plug the PC into the same circuit as the sound board, and there will be no ground loop hum.

The USB and (if the desktop has it) firewire external options still apply here. I would still strongly recommend having balanced outputs to eliminate all possible noise. With an ML3000 as the console you definitely should not skimp on the audio quality coming out of the computer ... and for such a small price.

We bought the computer from Soundcom Systems and it is fitted to run what we needed to. We didn't just head out to best buy or anything. It was made for the theater, or should I say customized. I'll post the sound card specs later, when I get a hold of them.

So how did this new PC/board config turn out? Can you tell us what the sound interface is?

So how did this new PC/board config turn out? Can you tell us what the sound interface is?

Well, I think I was wrong. I never got around to checking the specs on the soundcard because I am not up there that often. We don't really use it anyway. We have been using CD's. I was replaced by someone that actually gets a salary anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back