Choral Risers

Malabaristo

I feel like there was a thread about this at some point, but I didn't have much luck in searching for it... I'm looking for opinions on purchasing new, standing risers for choir. We currently have a very aged and much abused set of Wenger Tourmaster risers that are in definite need of replacement. Due to storage and access limitations, I don't think we can seriously consider any of the bulkier Wenger or StageRight options--as appealing as they might otherwise be.

So... should I just stick with replacing with new Tourmasters? Is there anything better in a similar form-factor? I found one very similar looking system from Midwest Folding Products, but I don't know how they compare in quality or price. Anyone have any experience with them?

I can't complain too much about the probably 20-30+ year lifespan of our current set, but I want to make sure I'm making an informed decision.

Bumping this thread because I'm soon to be a in the same market. What did you decide? How much did they cost?

We've put the purchase on hold for the moment, but are leaning in the direction of sticking with the Tourmasters. The main motivation is flexibility: we actually have two sets of risers with one living in the choir room, and one used on the stage. If we sort through all of the existing risers, we have enough in acceptable condition for the choir room. If we buy a new set of the same for onstage, then we still have the option of borrowing from the choir room to cover those rare cases where we need to accomodate a very large group onstage.

It's interesting to note that the two sets were purchased at different times, but their current condition is much more strongly correlated to their use than their age. The sets commingled over the years, so the ones that spent most of their life set up in the choir room are in the best shape--despite getting more daily use. The ones that get set up and taken down for every concert are the ones that are worst off now. That makes me feel better about choosing them again because I'm now in a position to oversee their handling. Previously it was just students doing the work with very little oversight... the new ones should live a somewhat gentler life.

We bought StageRight FR-36 Fold & Roll choir risers to replace a set of old and beat Tourmasters. The FR-36s are super easy to roll and set up, although do take up a significant footprint. Have you checked out the StageRight Alla Breve? They are pretty compact.

Costs? I'm trying to budget a few years out, no one lists prices online, and I don't want sales guys hounding me forever if I call for quotes...

The FR-36 don't work for us because they can't be stored onstage, and they wouldn't fit on a wheelchair lift to get up onto the stage. The Tourmasters are light enough to carry up the steps with two students of basically any size. The Alla Breve series is interesting, but the storage cart would similarly be too big. That doesn't rule them out since the individual pieces are easy to handle... Still, it was mostly the question of compatibility and the realization that their condition had more to do with abuse than just age that made the decision for me.

I got a quote direct from Wenger for six, 3-step risers with backrail for a little under $9k shipped. That was back in January and so far I've only gotten one follow-up email from them (which I ignored) so they're not too intrusive.

The FR-36s were $1,085 each direct from StageRight. We ordered 7. They were shipped along with decks, supports, and carts for same so not sure what shipping would be alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back