Christie Lites corner block 12"

Dagger

When building a truss arch is there a proper orientation for corner blocks.

Because i wonder cornerblocks 12" has pipes at the corners.

Should those pipes on the corner blocks be facing horizontally or vertically to the truss arch?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190604-121518.png
    Screenshot_20190604-121518.png
    106.8 KB · Views: 281
On 12" corner blocks it doesn't matter. They are so robust due to the compact size.

BUT I will say that adding a corner block to a circle/arch changes the radius of said circle/arch and might cause alignment issues with bolting it together. Also remember a circle truss is NOT necessarily an arch, nor is an arch a circle. If the truss has diagonals on all 4 sides, wonderful. But often the manufacturers will make what you ask for. A circle has the diagonals on the vertical sides, and not on the top and bottom. Use that same truss as an arch, and your diagonals are now on the top and bottom , not the vertical sides.

But I digress.

Ethan

Last edited:
1) corner blocks on a structure like that dont matter , right? ( see image)

2) i have seen on a rig ( normal rig flown with motors. )
Truss line with 16" pin trusses.
Truss line need to have a 45degree "turn". So "some bars" where pinned into the truss ( dont know the name )
And then continued connection with other trusses.

That requires the truss to be turned so diagonals are now top and bottom.

There is no other way to attach those bars so that the diagonals are to the side.

Does that affect the rigging? Ex choking the truss , compression , tension issues? Does it create changes in how much the truss is rated for. ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190604-165420.png
    Screenshot_20190604-165420.png
    423.7 KB · Views: 259
The safest answer is "ask the manufacturer or a qualified engineer". The ratings change, but whether or not that effects the safety of the rig is conditional upon the load. There are truss manufacturers that make the pins on their truss either vertical or horizontal (or adjustable). This allows gates/spreader bars to work with the best orientation for truss use.

Ok, sorry for the confusion. When you said arch I assumed a curved arch vs what you show in that image which most people call a goalpost. Straight verticals and strait horizontals. Again the corner block orientation isn’t as critical, as long as the bolt plates match (such as James Thomas 12”.)

In regards to your other question about a truss that uses a forked style connection and tubes to form angles, there are a few items to consider.

1) they are not structural, meaning each side of the angle must be supported.
2) when supporting a vertical load, diagonals on the top and bottom and not on the sides is a no no. Stop. End sentence. So if using the tubes to make an angle forces you to rotate one of the truss spans so the diagonals are on the top/bottom the that is wrong, and should not be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back