Christmas concert ideas

Jon Majors

We have 2 different Christmas concerts. 1 features our bands and choirs and the other is a city symphony orchestra pops concert. We don't have a shell, just a black traveler and white cyc. I'm looking for suggestions on backdrops - ideas to light the cyc or the black traveler. I've rented a star backdrop curtain before but it's a lot of work. I'd rather not rent a holiday backdrop. What're your recommendations? Below is what I did 2 years ago.

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 11.31.53 AM.png

We have 2 different Christmas concerts. 1 features our bands and choirs and the other is a city symphony orchestra pops concert. We don't have a shell, just a black traveler and white cyc. I'm looking for suggestions on backdrops - ideas to light the cyc or the black traveler. I've rented a star backdrop curtain before but it's a lot of work. I'd rather not rent a holiday backdrop. What're your recommendations? Below is what I did 2 years ago.

View attachment 22336
ooh stand by.. I will dig up the pictures.. but I made some christmas trees out of foam board but with some dimension based on a napkin folding pattern of all things. simple angles and arcs to cut. Very fast..Used 2 tones of green paint alternated sections, and a simple painted snow skirt on each section. Can put up a forest of trees fast and the result was reminiscant of Rankin Bass animation Got lots of comments.
christmas1.jpg
christmas2.jpg

Last edited:
heres how to achieve the ratios/cuts easily. 1 long continuous arc but the angle origin is offset from center.
Makes scaling and cutting them dirt simple. Cheap flat if you have depth problems, Some dimension, unique and a crowd pleaser
I just made ply bases with a vertical 2x4 to mount. I offset my starting "ray point" more and made 5 sections per tree for a smaller top. I made different sized for a more randomized set of heights for the "forest" look. Tried some ornament cutouts, but they were more elegant 2 tone green and plain. Spray painted the bottom snow stripe for more of a gradient look
pattern.jpg

View attachment 22336
This looks great! I also like the swags of lights out in the house... a nice touch.

Facebook obliged and sent me a picture of the set with more optimal lighting.. Not bad for a dog doctor if I do say so myself (and I just did) I was trying to evoke one of the old Christmas Specials with the suspended window, and cityscape in the background. Small combo was on stage.. Grand piano center, Drummer on gift box on SL Bass and woodwind on gift box on SR. Cute little musical called "Christmas Survival Guide" Sketch comedy first half very light and secular, end more traditional and spirit filled.
CEFF8CEF-1100-43CC-B52C-297FE93B64B9.jpeg

For simple events, I switch things up with my LED lights on the cyc between Candy Cane-Red and White Stripes, Christmas-Red and Green Stripes, and Hanukkah- Blue and White Stripes.

Facebook obliged and sent me a picture of the set with more optimal lighting.. Not bad for a dog doctor if I do say so myself (and I just did) I was trying to evoke one of the old Christmas Specials with the suspended window, and cityscape in the background. Small combo was on stage.. Grand piano center, Drummer on gift box on SL Bass and woodwind on gift box on SR. Cute little musical called "Christmas Survival Guide" Sketch comedy first half very light and secular, end more traditional and spirit filled. View attachment 22353
Not bad for a CANINE CLINICIAN.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back