Christmas decorations... completely off topic...

Ravenbar

I'm in a Jeep club, Drive an '02 WJ(grand cherokee), Every year we do a christmas run(visiting nurding homes and dropping off cookies, ect.).

This year I've been planning of doing a backlite display on my rear windows, controlled via DMX/ a laptop. I've already got 32' of LED RGB strips, non waterproof variety). Also have a USB-DMX converter, and DMX-LED strip controllers. I'm also absolutely horrible at soldering. Not sure if I'm going to be buying a generator, or if I'll be rigging up a battery bank to power everything. Leaning towards the generator(900w harbor freight model)(also got a dimmer pack and some 120v christmas light I may use), but I'll have to go buy one, and fabricate a hitch mount for it. Had issues in the past with an inverter pu;lling to much voltage, causing the engine computer to be unhappy and misfire.

My theoretical idea it that I'll use "plastic cardboard", as I call it, to build a box arounf my rear windows. Put the lights in front of that, them use window paint/ a plastic cardboard "gobo" to create the visual effect.

Being as I have a college degree in technical theatre, specialty in lighting and scenery, I feel my presentation had been lacking the last 2 years(events 3rd year).

Any ideas/input? Google hasn't exactly been helpful...

Rather then a generator to provide your 120VAC I suggest an inverter running from the vehicle electrical system. Smaller, no noise, no fuel, no exhaust, less maintenance while moving.
I've run into issues running them in the past. Alternator can't quite keep up with demand resulting it misfires(computer gets unhappy).

You may want to try doityourselfchrstmas.com. They do this sort of stuff all the time. Stick with 12 volt LEDs and save yourself the hassle. There are all sorts of controllers for driving 12V pixel and dumb LEDs

Run the inverter on deep cycle marine batteries, not the Jeep's electrical system. Parallel more than one battery if needed to handle the load for enough time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back