Chroma-Q color blocks for flat lighting

variable

I've been looking for a really small, low profile light to add some color wash to the top of some 8' flats that run right into the ceiling. I've got about 4" before any instruments fall below the proscenium balance. A local supplier is liquidating some older chroma Q color blocks and I was wondering if anyone had used them for color washes and had an opinion as to wether they would work for me here.

Thanks in advance.

Original Color Blocks have a pretty narrow beam, so they are pretty good for uplighting. These are really old, so they are not nearly as bright compared to modern fixtures, and you do need to tight pack them together in order to not have gaps between beams. They should be fine for uplighting an 8 foot flat though, as far as covering that distance is concerned. I don't remember how many you can chain off of one output on the PSU, I think is 5 or 6. Having the separate PSU and having to use scroller cable sucks though, but if the price is right...

You will need to mount them to some kind of floor base if they don't come with them, they predate someone figuring out the split yoke stand.

You should ask that local supplier to borrow a few for a day so you can test it out before you buy. They should work, that's not far of a throw, but they are older units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back