Chroma-Q Color Force 72 UV Range

jmowbray

I just recently started LDing for a theater that houses all the local HS theater shows. They are just coming out of a new renovation to the place and purchased 10 Chroma-Q Color Force 72s. The first show I will be designing is Addams Family. I played around with the fixtures (mainly manually patched them so I can use each cell) but I can't seem to find the right balance to create a UV spectrum. Has anyone got these fixtures to produce UV or near UV? The director has decided that she wants the ancestors in white with black contouring and in UV light. I'm looking for any input here on gel color suggestions, mixing levels for red, blue, green & amber, etc. Other than these fixtures I have conventional lighting and not many to spare.

The Color Force is an RGBA fixture so it doesn't have any emitters that reach into the UV spectrum. There's no combination of color mixing that will produce any UV light from an LED emitter that is not designed to produce it.

Pick something you find aesthetically pleasing (blues, purples) and accept the limitation.

You would get better results with a UV cannon or the discontinued Elation UV Wash fluorescent fixture if you can find one used somewhere.

I just recently started LDing for a theater that houses all the local HS theater shows. They are just coming out of a new renovation to the place and purchased 10 Chroma-Q Color Force 72s. The first show I will be designing is Addams Family. I played around with the fixtures (mainly manually patched them so I can use each cell) but I can't seem to find the right balance to create a UV spectrum. Has anyone got these fixtures to produce UV or near UV? The director has decided that she wants the ancestors in white with black contouring and in UV light. I'm looking for any input here on gel color suggestions, mixing levels for red, blue, green & amber, etc. Other than these fixtures I have conventional lighting and not many to spare.
+1 on the Elation UV fixtures - I have 4 and they are pretty decent. For filters I often use G930 or R59 to fake my way through UV if I need to embiggen my coverage area.

Those units won't really give you the punch you need, definitely a +2 on the Elation UV fixtures if you can find them, otherwise my go to is L181 and a 1k parcan.... you will have to change the gel often.

If you have more of them you can double up on a S4 par, but I find the red shift of the HPL to not be as nice as the Par when trying to push UV light.

Really ?, I wonder how that is. They are both 3200K incandescent lamps. How does the S4 shift differently ?

Yes on paper their manufactured and in theory measured specs within limits are typically around 3k-3.25k ish depending on manufacturer and various other factors. There is a mathematical difference in the color shift between a 575/750w HPL and a 1k Par64 and I would even go as far to say it is different between an NSP, MFL and WFL.

Most importantly to me is the visual difference. I plot based on what the paper says the light should do, I design by what the light I see is doing... I personally like using the Par64 with L181 for a "black light / UV" effect. I have also used S4 Pars.

The closest you are going to get to anything remotely UV like on the colorforces is blue@full, and add a pinch of red to taste.
Turn off magic-amber mode. You don't want the fixture to decide to add any amber for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back