Cigarette lighter effect?

Greeting, all!
We're doing a high school production that requires kids to light cigarette lighters on stage. I'm trying to figure out a way to do that without involving real lighters and the accompanying flames, etc.
Anyone have any suggetions?

sk8rsdad

Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
Mime it and trust the audience?
Wire up a small LED with a battery and add a pushbutton switch to the prop? You can probably harvest most of what you need from some dollar store trinket.

almorton

If you look at the flame head of city theatrical's electronic candles, it's 3 grain o' wheat lamps (or 3 LEDs for the low power version) made to flicker by a microcontroller and they look very convincing from more than a couple of feet away. Something similar but simpler could be cobbled together maybe - the main effect is just a couple of flickering lamps wrapped in a plastic that diffuses the light of the "flame".

Harrison Hohnholt

If you look at the flame head of city theatrical's electronic candles, it's 3 grain o' wheat lamps (or 3 LEDs for the low power version) made to flicker by a microcontroller and they look very convincing from more than a couple of feet away. Something similar but simpler could be cobbled together maybe - the main effect is just a couple of flickering lamps wrapped in a plastic that diffuses the light of the "flame".
Here is a write up on using the candle as a lighter. https://www.citytheatrical.com/news_letter/Candle Lighter.htm. Unfortunately the video is no longer available on Youtube. Let me do some digging in our files, I might be able to find it

almorton

Dont suppose the lamp assemblies can be bought separately, can they? A bit of set fell on one of ours and broke two of the lamps.

Harrison Hohnholt

Dont suppose the lamp assemblies can be bought separately, can they? A bit of set fell on one of ours and broke two of the lamps.
Actually, i think they can. Give me a call on Monday and we can figure out how to get you some.

jonliles

Fight Leukemia
a 555 timer IC, 3 flickering LEDs , 3V battery back , and a button switch and you are in business.

Users who are viewing this thread