Cinderella Special Effects

carsonld

We are doing R & H Broadway version of Cinderella this March. Most of the special effects have been figured out. Specifically I am looking for a way for the pumpkin to rise out of the garden. We have large pumpkin that will rise from behind a 4' x 8' wall. The top of it will then explode and the wall and pumpkin will quickly roll off stage. If you have seen the broadway production, we are mimicking that. I am having trouble finding a way to make the pumpkin rise, and then stay up when its rolled off stage.

We are doing R & H Broadway version of Cinderella this March. Most of the special effects have been figured out. Specifically I am looking for a way for the pumpkin to rise out of the garden. We have large pumpkin that will rise from behind a 4' x 8' wall. The top of it will then explode and the wall and pumpkin will quickly roll off stage. If you have seen the broadway production, we are mimicking that. I am having trouble finding a way to make the pumpkin rise, and then stay up when its rolled off stage.

I have not seen this nor could i google it. But there are many ways to elevate items. A simple one is a plunger (3/4 sq stock) that slides up through a guide (1" sq stock) a few awing pullies and cable, then a lever or solenoid. It reminds me of a soapbox derby car brake but turned upside down. Or variations of it.

My theatre recently did this, but did not do that effect. It should be easy enough - especially with a wall. You can do a small pheumatic with low pressure homemade cylinders, one of those portable air tanks, and a 12 or 24 v selenoid. We have used that for a self contained confetti canon before. But heck with the wall you can do all sorts of easy mechanical methods (look up 4 bar linkages). At it's simplest you could make a colapsible stand that locks in place like tripod legs - someone lifts up the pumpkin, it latches, then it stays up.

Maybe I need more info on the limitations -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back