Circuit won't dim

As Bill above said, if you can power down the board and the channel stays on, it's most likely a fried SCR, SSR or Triac in the dimmer pack. This can happen at any time, even if a dimmer is brand new. Usually, there is a reason such as a lamp that flashed over or a shorted extension cable. Sometimes the reason cannot be pinned down, or may have occurred without notice (like a power surge.) Although dimmers have protection that helps avoid this, it is not and never can be 100%

Looks like you get to learn how to operate on a shoebox. Remember to wear all your PPE.

As a rule of thumb don’t overload your dimmers as the result can be a stuck open dimmer. Usually the fuses help take care of this but.... as it was said it could happen at any time.

Thanks everyone. Nothing like feeling like you're losing your mind to keep you awake during tech week! I'll post how it goes.

Beware of the ratings on 4 channel "shoebox" dimmers! Some say 600 watts per channel, others say 10 amps per channel. People see the 10 amps and think, oh cool, 1000 watts! Well, the 10 amp fuse is more there for fire protection. The Triacs used in most all of these packs is good for about 600 watts. Anything more and you run the chance of popping them. In addition, many packs are equipped with a 14/3 power cable with a 15 amp plug. That further limits the full pack load to about 1400 watts. (1800 for short duration.) In other words, even running three 575 watt fixtures is pushing it.

Beware of the ratings on 4 channel "shoebox" dimmers! Some say 600 watts per channel, others say 10 amps per channel. People see the 10 amps and think, oh cool, 1000 watts! Well, the 10 amp fuse is more there for fire protection. The Triacs used in most all of these packs is good for about 600 watts. Anything more and you run the chance of popping them. In addition, many packs are equipped with a 14/3 power cable with a 15 amp plug. That further limits the full pack load to about 1400 watts. (1800 for short duration.) In other words, even running three 575 watt fixtures is pushing it.
Your advice is good generally, however the OP's dimmers (Leprecon ULD360) are several cuts above the typical cheapo pack, having 25A SSRs and other nice features. They are very high-quality. My leaning is misconfiguration as @seanandkate suggested.

113E1C30-5AE7-420E-84D4-32A996DB9D23.jpeg

Well if that’s the case check this. But I doubt it.

Your advice is good generally, however the OP's dimmers (Leprecon ULD360) are several cuts above the typical cheapo pack, having 25A SSRs and other nice features. They are very high-quality. My leaning is misconfiguration as @seanandkate suggested.
More directed to if a substitute pack is used (ex- #5.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back