Cirque Du Soleil Internships available!

I have many friends who went throught the Cirque internship. About half of them still work with the company. They don't pay a lot but the opportunity is obviously worth it and well...its an internship.

They don't pay a lot but the opportunity is obviously worth it and well...its an internship.

Since they pay at all, that is already a bonus. When I was in college, I was offered an internship at Capitol Records in LA. Since it was not a paid internship and would be required to work 30-40 hours/week with them, I couldn't find how to pay to live there. After all, I had been foolish enough to move out of my parents house when I was 18 and had no way to afford it on my own. In retrospect, maybe I should have worked harder at finding a way to do it.

Does anyone know if they have internships available anytime soon?

Best bet is to keep an eye on their job page. That's where I find the info when I have posted it. Although, I have heard that there have been unposted internships from interviews at USITT. Don't know any details on those. Since the last one closed in October for the spring positions, I'd expect somewhere around January/Febrary for the summer internships as a rough guess.

How do u think, is it possible for girl from Russia take part in this internship?
I worked for CDS show "Corteo" during their Russian Tour as an usher and fell in love with all this circus stuff. I really wanna work there as a technician, because I have tachnical degree (on my last year in University now).
Unfortunately, I didn't find any information about foreign students there... But CDS always calls itself "multinational" company, so maybe I have a chance)

Cirque du Soleil cannot process immigration paperwork for this position therefore candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States.

That's for the On Call Follow Spot Operator position, I'm not sure about other opportunities.

Sveta, I don't think that they offer any internships for international students at this time. I think that we (here at CB) had some interested Australian students who found that out in the past. That is not to say that it is impossible. However, since the technical internships are paid and take place at the permanent shows, it goes to say that it would be on you to obtain authorization to work in the United States. If you still have contact information from someone that you worked with, you might try to ask them to find out for you. Especially if they can provide a recommendation.

Last edited:
Thanks for answer!
Also I've heard about something like internship right in Montreal (one acrobat told me about it, but he didn't know so much about. Only that it exists) Do u have some information? or maybe he just mixed it up with internship in Las Vegas...

Sveta, I don't think that they offer any internships for international students at this time. I think that we (here at CB) had some interested Australian students who found that out in the past. That is not to say that it is impossible.

Yes I seem to remember the same thing. Seems like one of our Australian CB members reserached it a year or two back and determined they couldn't apply. I believe one of the requirements is that you have to be able to get credit for being a Cirque intern, and the Australians determined you had to be getting credit at a US university. So Sveta, it can be done but you would have to transfer to a school in the US first and then being lucky enough to be chosen for the internship.

Sveta, you are probably better off staying where you are, get your degree, work hard for a few years to prove yourself, then apply to work for Cirque in 5-10 years after graduation once you have a good looking portfolio.

Sveta, you are probably better off staying where you are, get your degree, work hard for a few years to prove yourself, then apply to work for Cirque in 5-10 years after graduation once you have a good looking portfolio.

Thanks for information!
Yep, I was thinking about this way. And it sounds much more real for me now. So I'll stay here in Russia and will do everything possible. Btw, there are a lot of talks about opening of CDS stationar show in Moscow in a few years.

Thanks for information!
Yep, I was thinking about this way. And it sounds much more real for me now. So I'll stay here in Russia and will do everything possible. Btw, there are a lot of talks about opening of CDS stationar show in Moscow in a few years.

That would be perfect. Get your degree and work as much as possible. Do anything you can either in or out of college. Don't worry about getting paid, yet. Just work anywhere and everywhere so that you can meet and impress as many people as possible. Too many college students only think about classes and events on campus, while you are doing that you should also be out working anywhere you can find a gig to get known in the theater comunity. That way when you are done you have a degree and a resume.

...Too many college students only think about classes and events on campus, while you are doing that you should also be out working anywhere you can find a gig to get known in the theater comunity. That way when you are done you have a degree and a resume.

One problem I have run into is that the economy has made design jobs harder to get (at least in my market), and very few professors/established designers are turning down or not being considered for smaller, community theatre jobs. Possibly this is another thread, but Its probably worth noting that the downturned economy is making this plan harder for students.

Hey all. I saw that the Technician and Stage Management internships for summer and fall are open for applications right now (actually back on January 25th). They are only open until February 25th, so apply quick. These are for the Las Vegas shows only so you would have to be eligible to work in the United States as well as the other requirements. See the jobsite for all details, but here's the description for the Technical internship:

Theatre Internship Opportunities, Resident Shows Division, Las Vegas (Summer and Fall, 2011)

Description

This position will report to a representative of Company Management, Stage Management or Operations Management: Your goal will be to gain the training, certifications and experience you need to enter the exciting field of technical theatre, stage management or company management for a production or theatre company.

As an intern you will gain hands-on experience, develop skills in one of our various departments (technical, stage management, company management or even project engineering) as well as gain knowledge about the operations of the production company;
You will learn more about your field of study and your career goals while establishing a network of professional contacts, mentors, and references;
You will gain insight into the key competencies, skills, and work characteristics employers seek;
You will be expected to follow all employee guidelines, policies and procedures as well as act in a professional manor;
You will be required to meet all mandatory assignments/projects and readings issued by your manager;
You will be expected to do all other duties as assigned by your manager.
*To be considered for this position you must attach an essay to your cover letter when applying for the position.
The essay requirement is:
Minimum 300 words;
How would an internship with Cirque du Soleil help you meet your future goals and what distinguishes you from other candidates?

Qualifications

Internship Opportunities are available for Summer and Fall 2011.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:

Hold enough credits within your college or university to be a Junior or Senior;
Have a 3.0 G.P.A (cumulative or within your degree program;)
The ability to receive college credit for the internship;
The ability to participate the entire length of the internship program;
Experience participating in college or high school theatre performances;
Ability to communicate in English;
Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Internet;
Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
Willing to work on weekends, nights and holidays as needed or required;
Ability to provide your own transportation and housing while participating in the in internship;
Ability to live or provide for your own means on a minimum $8.25 per hour pay rate.

*To be considered for this position you must attach an essay to your cover letter when applying for the position.
The essay requirement is:
Minimum 300 words;
How would an internship with Cirque du Soleil help you meet your future goals and what distinguishes you from other candidates?

Job: Production and Technical Support & Operations
Primary Location: Las Vegas (USA)
Organization: Resident Shows
Travel: No

Job Posting: 2011-Jan-25
Unposting Date: 25 Feb 2011 23:59:00

Well I sent the link along to a friend of mine, and well he got one of the internships! He will be there this summer and maybe even fall. Thank you for posting this!

Cool. What show will he be on and what department does he hope to work with?

I think he'll be working with the lighting department for Zumanity. Too bad it's not Ka...

Why limit yourself to the internships? There is a good turnaround rate in the Cirque family and any on call position is available to insiders and outsiders alike. Besides, when you are a technician at a resident show like "O" or Ka, you are an employee of the hotel, not officially Cirque, though you are issued a Cirque employee card and can apply internally for jobs on tour. You are payed by the hotel, you health insurance is through the hotel, all human resource issues are hotel related. There are responsibilities that are on the Cirque side (artistic quality) and one is responsible to Cirque for that, but you are a hotel employee. True some jobs are listed to Cirque employees first, but that doesn't ensure a Cirque employee will get a specific gig, and even if it does go to an insider, that means there is a position open at the show they left. If you want to be a designer at Cirque, you have a Looooong way to go. Start out at an entry level position and work you way around. I found that experience is helpful, but attitude is as important. I worked at a Cirque show where they hired a non-theatrical person and he trained as fast or faster than most experienced technicians I've worked with and still works at the show. Remember, pushy know it alls rarely get a second interview. Positive Can Do/Will Do people generally do get second interviews. And know your sh*t. Don't ever try and impress someone without knowing everything about what you are talking about. It is OK to say "I don't know that but I'll go find it out right away". Go to the Cirque website and check out jobs, and if you want to work at a specific show (Resident shows in Vegas) go to the hotel employment website and apply that way. You will have to pass a background and drug test. As with most jobs, if they like you...

The only downside to applying directly through the hotel is that MGM hotels only allow candidates one open application at a time. This becomes a problem for candidates who are applying for even those on-call positions.

As with any internships, it's not just about getting a foot in the door, but learning the skills to advance your career. Certainly, Cirque has their way of doing things, but then so does Disney (I think their internships are mainly business these days). No matter what, the more prestigious the employer that you intern for, the better the reference will be for your resume. ScottT, if your friend isn't already a CB member, ask if he will become one and share his experiences. Maybe he could share what Cirque looks for in their interns so that other CB members might also get a chance at an internship.

ScottT, if your friend isn't already a CB member, ask if he will become one and share his experiences. Maybe he could share what Cirque looks for in their interns so that other CB members might also get a chance at an internship.

I'll ask but CB doesn't seem like his cup of tea. Also, how does Cirque (and Disney and others) feel about their interns posting their feelings about the internships? I can both sides of the argument of why it would frowned upon and why it would be good for business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back