Cirque Du Soleil Internships available!

I'm sure that Cirque, Disney, and other larger corporations all have their social media policies and will say what they can and cannot post. I'm sure that if an intern had a lousy experience and blasted the company, they would not be getting any good references or calls for employment. After all, what happens on the internet, stays on the internet (as in watch what you post, because others definitely are). However, if you have a great experience and aren't giving away any kind of secrets, I'm sure that these companies also like the good publicity provided. I'm sure that will be explained to him. If this is something that he'd want to do, then he should probably be up front about it. Maybe they'd even give him the outlet to share his experiences on one of their many networks (as they are on FB, and other social media sites).

Posted today, only open for two weeks (closes February 1st). Apply here.

Stage Management Internship Opportunities, Resident Shows Division, Las Vegas (Summer and Fall 2013) RES04284

*or*

Technical Theatre Internship Opportunities, Resident Shows Division, Las Vegas (Summer and Fall 2013) RES04283

Description

This position will report to a representative of Company Management or Operations Management: Your goal will be to gain the training, certifications and experience you need to enter the exciting field of technical theatre, stage management or company management for a production or theatre company.

As an intern you will gain hands-on experience, develop skills in one of our various departments (technical, stage management, company management or even project engineering) as well as gain knowledge about the operations of the production company;
You will learn more about your field of study and your career goals while establishing a network of professional contacts, mentors, and references;
You will gain insight into the key competencies, skills, and work characteristics employers seek;
You will be expected to follow all employee guidelines, policies and procedures as well as act in a professional manor;
You will be required to meet all mandatory assignments/projects and readings issued by your manager;
You will be expected to do all other duties as assigned by your manager.

*Be sure and answer ALL prescreen questions to be considered for this internship.
*To be considered for this position you must attach an essay to your cover letter when applying for the position.
The essay requirement is:

Minimum 300 words;
How would an internship with Cirque du Soleil help you meet your future goals and what distinguishes you from other candidates?

Qualifications

Willing to work in Las Vegas, NV;
Willing to work on weekends, nights and holidays as needed or required;
Ability to provide your own transportation and housing while participating in the internship;
Ability to live or provide for your own means on a minimum wage;
Ability to communicate in English;
Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Internet;
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Ability to live or provide for your own means on NV minimum wage of $8.25 per hour pay rate.

Job
: Production and Technical Support & Operations
Primary Location
: Las Vegas (USA) -
Job Posting
: Jan 18, 2013, 5:55:29 PM
Unposting Date
: Feb 1, 2013, 11:59:59 PM

Last edited:
Okay, so I just filled out my application for the Cirque internship and I was wondering if anyone knows if there is anything else I should do to get to the top of the list or do I literally just sit back and wait for them to contact me? Thank you.

I know that a few of our members have been Cirque interns over the past few years. Maybe one of them will share what helped them to get there. One thing I have heard as a common theme is availability to go to USITT where they do in person interviews.

I know that a few of our members have been Cirque interns over the past few years. Maybe one of them will share what helped them to get there. One thing I have heard as a common theme is availability to go to USITT where they do in person interviews.

Interviewing in person at USITT definitely made the difference for me. Make sure you know a fair amount about the show you'd like to work on. I recognized KÀ's TD from videos, and was able to intercept him on the way to the Cirque booth. It's a good conversation-starter to be able to ask informed questions about a show. (Not "Wow, your show is really cool!")

Okay, so I just filled out my application for the Cirque internship and I was wondering if anyone knows if there is anything else I should do to get to the top of the list or do I literally just sit back and wait for them to contact me? Thank you.

Just hang and wait. If you go to any events with them talk to them. I've interviewed with them 4 or 5 times in the last 3 years - they will contact you out of the blue and at random times.

My .02 on the Vegas internship is that it's not worth it. Vegas is cheap to live in, but it's a struggle to move and find a place in a safe area of town for 3 months for minimum wage. Sure, you have Cirque's name on your resume, but of the 5 Cirque interns I know three of them are hustling the NYC freelance scene right now to various successes - Cirque's corporate structure isn't too conducive to helping you get employment with them afterwards.

If USITT does the "elite training weekend" again, I fully suggest applying for that. Sure, it's no internship, but you get backstage on 4 shows and you get to learn some technology you otherwise wouldn't get to know (Audio was Meyer Sound/LCS @ Viva Elvis, Lighting was GrandMA2/Clay Paky @ Ka, Projection was Coolux @ Love, Rigging was a partnership with Silver State Wire Rope @ Ka/Love). I did audio and got a really good class on LCS/Matrix3 - it was outdated when they taught it to us, but because I knew it I got a job a few months after with a theatre tour that used Matrix3. They hired a projection kid out of the group because he knew something the Head of Projections didn't know.

I wouldn't say that many companies would be in the business of hiring out of internships. In the terms of the NLRB, the intent of an internship is to offer a learning experience, not "audition" new recruits. If that were the case, they would have to suspend the program at some point because I am sure that they would run out of positions. :)

Now, as to the quality of the "education" received at Cirque, or any employer, that can be difficult to say. First of all, most of the Cirque shows will often be using slightly older technology due to the age of the shows (unless they get to update or you get on a newer show). Whereas, if you get an internship with a production company, you may get to work with more up to date equipment as they rotate through their equipment more often (again, depending on the company). However, what I think that any student will benefit from an internship is work ethic, trouble-shooting, making connections, and finding out if this is really where you want to go with life. As with any internship or educational opportunity, a lot of it depends on the student and what they want to get out of it. I have worked with interns who couldn't care less what I was telling them, others who felt that they should finish all of my sentences to show what they knew (not always correctly), and others who listened, took advice, and contacted me after the fact when they needed more advice.

Good luck to all the students who are applying for upcoming internships.

Posted on FB.
The Internship postings have closed and we had 288 applicants! We open up the posting the week of USITT again for one last chance! Please be patience[sic] while we get through the applications and invites for interviews should all be done by the third week in March, hopefully. Good luck everyone!

So, if you missed your chance because you were swamped with your current production, you will have a second chance it seems.

288. Wow. Anyone know how many interns they pick? I saw 6 for stage management somewhere. But couldn't find anything about the technical ones.

Now if only their made such an offer for performers! My daughter is hoping to complete a Bachelor of Circus Arts with the ultimate ambition of performing in Cirque Du Soleil. Thankfully she has a back-up plan of a Bachelor on Engineering, which ultimately may be a little more achievable. But as we have discussed - if she has a dream she should give herself every opportunity to pursue it, hence she is on her way to a circus/acrobatics training session right now. The Cirque Du Soleil show's visit to our city last year made it very easy to select her birthday present!

I never have seen if they do something along those lines, but then again, that's not my forte. You should have your daughter follow the Cirque casting FB page. It seems that they do auditions all over the place, including countries outside of North America.

I never have seen if they do something along those lines, but then again, that's not my forte. You should have your daughter follow the Cirque casting FB page. It seems that they do auditions all over the place, including countries outside of North America.
I am sure she already has done that. but she still has 2 years of high school to complete before 3 years of university to obtain the Bachelor of Circus Arts, so a long time before even considering how to go about getting an audition. Meanwhile, she is already planning how to redeem my balance of frequent flyer miles to maximise her opportunities to see as many C du S shows around the world as possible.

They have a news/events section on their casting website. Perhaps she could go to one of the events their recruiters are attending or contact them about an internship. That said I think their performer version of the internship may be the training program in Montreal, but that's just a guess based off their website/facebook/blogs/ect.

Just saw this today: (https://cirquedusoleil.taleo.net/careersection/1/jobdetail.ftl)
Technical Theatre Internship Opportunities, Resident Shows Division, Las Vegas (Spring 2014)-RES04486
Description
We are looking for two (2) Technical Interns for Spring 2014. (Approx. start late January early February)

This position will report to a representative of Company Management or Operations Management:
Your goal will be to gain the training, certifications and experience you need to enter the exciting field of technical theatre, stage management or company management for a production or theatre company.
  • As an intern you will gain hands-on experience, develop skills in one of our various departments (technical, stage management, company management or even project engineering) as well as gain knowledge about the operations of the production company;
  • You will learn more about your field of study and your career goals while establishing a network of professional contacts, mentors, and references;
  • You will gain insight into the key competencies, skills, and work characteristics employers seek;
  • You will be expected to follow all employee guidelines, policies and procedures as well as act in a professional manor;
  • You will be required to meet all mandatory assignments/projects and readings issued by your manager;
  • You will be expected to do all other duties as assigned by your manager.
*Be sure and answer ALL prescreen questions to be considered for this internship.
*To be considered for this position you must attach an essay to your cover letter when applying for the position.
  • Minimum 300 words;
  • How would an internship with Cirque du Soleil help you meet your future goals and what distinguishes you from other candidates?
Qualifications
  • Ability to work in the US without immigration sponsorship from Cirque du Soleil;
  • The ability to participate the entire length of the internship program (currently 12 consecutive weeks during Spring);
  • Hold enough credits within your college or university to be classified as either a Junior or Senior;
    • ExceptionCurrent MFA or graduate program students also qualify.
    • Exception – you may apply for an internship during the semester or quarter immediately following graduation only.
  • Have a 3.0 G.P.A (cumulative or within your degree program);
  • The ability to receive college credit for the internship;
  • Application must include the following three components:
    • Resume containing relevant work experience
    • Essay composed of 300 words or less addressing the topic “How would an internship with Cirque du Soleil help you meet your future goals and what distinguishes you from other applicants?”
    • Two (2) Letters of Recommendation from faculty members at your school attached with resume and essay at time of application.
Required of Internship
  • Willing to work in Las Vegas, NV;
  • Willing to work on weekends, nights and holidays as needed or required;
  • Ability to provide your own transportation and housing while participating in the internship;
  • Ability to live or provide for your own means on a minimum wage;
  • Ability to communicate in English;
  • Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Internet;
  • Excellent verbal and written communication skills
  • Ability to live or provide for your own means on NV minimum wage of $8.25 per hour pay rate.
Job
:production and Technical Support & Operations
Primary Location
:Las Vegas (USA)
Organization
:Resident Shows
Schedule
:Full-time
Travel
:No
Job Posting
:Dec 4, 2013, 3:20:56 PM
Unposting Date
:Dec 18, 2013, 11:59:00 PM
Recruiter
:Becky Jones

Also to note that PR and Graphics Design internships available.

Stage Management Internship Opportunities, Zumanity, Las Vegas (October 10-December 31, 2014): https://cirquedusoleil.taleo.net/careersection/2/joblist.ftl

Description
This position will report to a representative of Stage Management: Your goal will be to gain the training and experience you need to enter the exciting field of stage management for a production or theatre company.

• As an intern you will gain hands-on experience, develop skills in our stage management department as well as gain knowledge about the operations of the production company;
  • You will learn more about your field of study and your career goals while establishing a network of professional contacts, mentors, and references;
  • You will gain insight into the key competencies, skills, and work characteristics employers seek;
  • You will be expected to follow all employee guidelines, policies and procedures as well as act in a professional manor;
  • You will be required to meet all mandatory assignments/projects and readings issued by your manager;
  • You will be expected to do all other duties as assigned by your manager.

*To be considered for this position you must attach an essay to your cover letter and resume when applying for the position.

• Minimum 300 words;
  • How would an internship with Cirque du Soleil help meet your future goals and what distinguishes you from other applicants?

Qualifications
Internship Opportunities are available for Fall 2014.
  • Ability to work in the US without immigration sponsorship from Cirque du Soleil; NO EXCEPTIONS
  • The ability to participate the entire length of the internship program (currently 8-12 consecutive weeks during the Fall);
  • Hold enough credits within your college or university to be classified as either a Junior or Senior;
    • ExceptionCurrent MFA or graduate program students also qualify.
  • The ability to receive college credit for the internship is appreciated;
    • Exception – you may apply for an internship during the semester or quarter immediately following graduation only.
  • Have a 3.0 G.P.A (cumulative or within your degree program);
  • Application must include the following three components:
    • Resume containing relevant work experience (theatre work)
    • Essay composed of 300 words or less addressing the topic “How would an internship with Cirque du Soleil help you meet your future goals and what distinguishes you from other applicants?”
    • Letter of Recommendation from 2 faculty members at your school attached at time of application
Required of Internship
  • Willing to work in Las Vegas, NV;
  • Willing to work on weekends, nights and holidays as needed or required;
  • Ability to provide your own transportation and housing while participating in the internship;
  • Ability to live or provide for your own means on a minimum wage;
  • Ability to communicate in English;
  • Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Internet;
  • Excellent verbal and written communication skills
  • Ability to live or provide for your own means on NV minimum wage of $8.25 per hour pay rate.
*Be sure and answer ALL prescreen questions to be considered for this internship. NO EXCEPTION
*To be considered for this position you must attach an essay to your cover letter and resume when applying for the position.

• Minimum 300 words;
  • How would an internship with Cirque du Soleil help meet your future goals and what distinguishes you from other applicants?

Job
Production and Technical Support & Operations
Primary Location
:Las Vegas (USA)-
Job Posting
:Jul 11, 2014, 2:35:34 PM
Unposting Date
:Jul 26, 2014, 1:59:00 AM

I saw that the internship applications have posted. https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/careers/talent/9fa7edfb-5fa5-4415-a3f2-2e587ecc401f

There are opportunities for Stage Management, Company Management, and Technical (multiple varieties) at the Las Vegas shows. If you happen to attend USITT, I hear that they do in person interviews there. The biggest caveat for our community is that this is limited only to those who are able to work in the United States, they do not assist in obtaining working papers for even the Canadians.

Applications are due by March 1, 2018.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back