Clamp Meters

Interesting that you should mention that.... A bit of a tangent here, but I've been thinking lately, due to the nature of IGBTs one could design a dimmer system that actively remains in complete balance across all three phase legs no matter what the scene. To do so, the unit would use a master 3 phase power supply that produced a + / G / - buss output (much like a power amp.) Each IGBT PWM sign wave dimmer would the operate off the rails. No matter what circuits were loaded, the draw would be balanced on all three phase legs perfectly. I wonder if anyone is working on this?
end tangent.

We could do that. However, we'd like to be heading in the other direction, cost-wise, in order to drive down the cost of IGBT or MOSFET sine wave dimmers.

ST

Please elaborate, as the feeder is, of course, Wye-connected. Or are you just saying "delta-connected" because the neutral is unused?

Yes, a VLXX Moving Light (How does one format strikethru?)-DL. PD will not connect the neutral in North America. So it does not matter that it's a wye secondary, the load is delta- connected.

ST

Last edited by a moderator:
I would just like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I have learned so much in this past 30 minutes (nearly took notes!)...

They taught us the basics in our advanced lighting technology class (which is currently going on this semester), but it really helps to see people talk about it back and forth to really help comprehend it, so, thank you :)

Phil

I would just like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I have learned so much in this past 30 minutes (nearly took notes!)...
If you have found the information presented on ControlBooth useful, consider donating today. ...Oh wait, you already did!

OK, I just gave some cash.

ST
Steve, your expertise and experience is contribution enough. But I know dvsDave appreciates the cash also.;)

Last edited:
The easiest, and possibly safest way to use your clamp on ammeter is to buy something like this. Sure, you spend a few extra bux, but in the end, your theatre probably already has edison to stage pin adapters. Then there is no need to construct your own electrical devices and no need for "creative" solutions to using your equipment. Did I mention it was safer?
Icewolf08 wins again...
proxy.php

...actually, with SAFETY FIRST, EVERYONE WINS!

Okay, whats the favorite? Excluding all forms of no-name made in china ones. I had two (I was smart and bought a spare), but alas one has grown legs and the other got broken by a so claimed licensed electrician that tried to meter resistance on a live circuit. I'm hoping to get a true RMS one this time (old ones weren't), it needs to be at least Cat III 300V, AAC 400A, plus the usual resistance, VAC and VDC.

Yes, I'd like to get a fluke, but it's way too much given that others end up using mine (and sometimes taking or breaking!).

I got a Milwaukee one a few years ago, but in hindsight I should have just got a Fluke. I guess I just feel more comfortable with a company thats known an respected for meters, especially at such high voltages and amps. Not that the Milwaukee is bad, just should have bought once and been done with it. As another factoid, most meters, even relabeled ones by Craftsman or Klein, are made by Extech and UEi.

The T-5-1000 is nice, but its technically a fork meter, and can it accept 4/0?

Last edited:
I haven't had to replace any of my meters recently but I have a 80$ Greenlee I picked up some years back that has served me well. When I replace it I will probably get another Greenlee or one of the new Milwaukee meters. One of my coworkers has a Milwaukee, and it is a well built unit. I hear good things about Ideal meters as well.

Hope this helps
Dover

If you guys want to laugh, of the dead ones (or broken enough I don't use) are a Sperry (voltage readings are all over the place), Extech (I don't remember what was wrong with it I know frequency didn't work, but I think there was something else too), and TPI (resistance is dead due to the "electrician" metering a live circuit). The Sperry and Extech are both normal ones, the TPI is a clamp meter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back