Clay Paky rockin' to Bon Jovi

soundlight

Check out the Alpha 300 series light show video on the Clay Paky Homepage. Pretty cool stuff.

I'd really like to get my hands on a few Alpha Spot HPE 300 units. 300w, CMY and color wheel, 2 gobo wheels (one rotating) total 15 gobos, 15-40 degree zoom, rotating prism, and iris. Really sweet unit. The Beam is a really interesting unit, sweet for mid-air effects.

Oh, and the Clay Paky "feisty baby" ad at the top of the page is hilarious.

Last edited:
This has got to be one of the coolest things I have ever seen... not to mention a great song!

Anyone think they used an Express to program that? While it was a good light show, I saw nothing from the fixtures that couldn't be done with 50-60 of any hard-edge ML.

I think the "Effects Show" under ALPHA PROFILE 1200 here shows the most interesting use of shutters as effects on a moving light.

For the record, the current Bon Jovi tour rig consists of VL3000 spot & wash, Showguns, Elation Impressions (I was impressed), custom-wired 9Lights with ColorFaders, and ETC SourceFours™, and four grandMAs.

Perfect time to ask this question. Clay Paky's been showing up in the mags a lot recently going out on tours, but I still don't know very much about their reliability/reputation. I though they were midway between say a Martin/VL and an Elation?

Perfect time to ask this question. Clay Paky's been showing up in the mags a lot recently going out on tours, but I still don't know very much about their reliability/reputation. I though they were midway between say a Martin/VL and an Elation?

From the research that I've done, they're quite popular in Europe, and considered top-of-the-line there. They just haven't broken the US market yet. Basically, same problem that Robe's facing right now. Excellent product, but they don't have the US distributors and dealers network like Martin, Vari*Lite, or High End.

That video was pretty cool! I've been wondering about the quality level of Clay Paky fixtures for a while now. If anybody's had some first hand experience with them and could shed some light on the topic...

I wish I had experience with those lights. I thought that was amazing, although having very little experience with robolights its hard to say whats good and whats bad.:rolleyes:

I own about 40 clay paky's right now. I love them they are bullet proof. Most of my problems I have had are due to the union guys dropping them into the road cases (problem with the color 1200 line). I really like my little HPE's, they are bright and fast. I just checked out the 300's about a month ago. Those things are insanely bright, and kick the crap out of any 250, they appear to be more like a 575 or brighter. They had one pointed straight across the convention center changing colors, it wasnt too far from some weird spot light company, so at first glance i thought it was comming from a spot, not a little 300 sitting on a table. PRG has now taken over clay paky north america. So there will be much more clay paky around. Also here in houston, there are a number of school who hate highend and are big claypaky fans. Clay paky's part distribution warehouse is in new jersey so if yall are out that way, i'm sure they can setup a demo. Good ol Eric Mueller is taking care of us southern boyz.

Also i have to say the profile 1200 is one of my very most favorite lights. They can frame completely one direction across the beam path, so you can really make some cool effects. I'd take one over a Varilight any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back