"Clean" power for automated fixtures/accessories

I could be wrong and am not sure who else (Strand or whomever) makes either relay modules or direct breaker modules for their racks.
Strand does make both relay and direct modules for their C-21 racks.
Interstingly, the dealer who installed our new Strand racks recommended against running intelligent lights off of any power through the dimmer racks, even on the direct breaker modules. Of course, in our case we have independant relay circuits for movers, that are completely seperate from the dimmer racks:)

Interstingly, the dealer who installed our new Strand racks recommended against running intelligent lights off of any power through the dimmer racks, even on the direct breaker modules. Of course, in our case we have independant relay circuits for movers, that are completely seperate from the dimmer racks:)

I spoke to a Strand design engineer at LDI about this very question. He told me that using either module would be perfectly safe for intelligent gear. He was however standing in a sales booth when he said it and he looked sort of like this... :lol:

The dealer doesn't know what he/she's talking about. In the case of the direct breaker modules (On ETC - not sure if Strand makes one) the power comes right off the bussbar, thru the breaker and out to the light. With a relay module the power can be controlled in an on/off manner via the relay, which is controlled by DMX via the rack control electronics module.

In either case, the AC power has no regulation of any kind - I.E. what goes in to the rack comes out, just like any other type of pwer ditribution system be it a portable or fixed system.

Thus it is perfecty safe to use such systems for any kind of power requirements.

Steve B.

Hi,

I did the original post for this and I got swamped with a few events so I haven't been back to the board to see all the brew-ha this started. I am not, repeat not, an electrician and a lot of what you guys are talking about it right over my head. However, I can tell you that we do not have ETC sensor dims or Strand dims. Either would have been my preference when our facility was built seven years ago but instead we have "Lehigh" equipment. I have not been at all impressed with the stuff we have from them. Unfortunately that is what we got and what we will have for quite awhile. I will take a couple of photos of our rack and see if that clears up any questions people came up with, provided I can manage to post pics to the board.

Thanks to everyone's input so far. Your interest is appreciated. Sorry it took me so long to check back on the thread.

If it's the Lehigh DX2 dimming system (rack of 30, 60, or 120 dimmers, packed in CD-80 style), then you can get relay (D22ND) and constant power (D22CB) modules to pop in there. If it's the Sunburst wallpack Or SlimDim distributed dimming, there's no modules for those. But from what you've said, I'm pretty sure that it's the DX2 racks.

I pulled out the manual for the dimmer rack and the electrical schematics. We have a Lehigh DX rack (not the DX2 which is a newer version). We have three cabinets and in the third cabinet the breakers for the non-dims are wired in. It says on the schematics that the non-dims (32 of them distributed around the facility) are "120 volt from bus bars". It also says in reference to the breakers "120V Non-dim 20 Amp rated with EC57 snubber" I don't know what an "EC57 snubber" is but based upon what I read in the posts this sounds like it would be "clean" power. I'm going to call Lehigh to see what they say since they can pull the specs for our system and look at them. I think I'm on the right track with this, let me know if I'm off base.
thanks

It does look like you're on the right track. And since they're pulled directly from the buss bars, the power should be plenty clean for your uses.

Oh, and a snubber is a circuit that cleans up power transients. Even better! Looks like you're set.

.................Oh, and a snubber is a circuit that cleans up power transients.

Wow! I could use a snubber for Our roof, We have a huge transient problem, specially come summer they get up there and camp out, We have a lot of people here.willing to "snub their nose at them", but we don't have a snubber that cleans up transients.

:twisted:

It's called a taser. It's very useful for cleaning up transients. And then you need a bulldozer to clear the mess up.

Sorry, just had to say it :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back