Cleaning lenses

I use alchohol for everything. When the REFLECTOR (metal reflector) is dirty some good ol soft scrub works wonders and leaves your fixtures smelling bathroom fresh. I use softscrub like a polishing compound, i just rub it on with a paper towel and wipe off. I do not use water.

Soft scrub was what we always used on the reflectors of Carbon Arc spotlights as well. Soft scrub and Coffee filters, bought 'em in bulk.

I'm in the Isopropyl Alcohol and a lint free cloth camp on this one. It works great for both reflectors and lenses. And incidentally, it also does an excellent job of getting pine pitch off of my lights when used in it's undiluted form.

I grew up in pine tree country, I can't even imagine getting that stuff on my lights. Fingernail Polish remover works great on skin, and the stuff is basically diluted alcohol.

Gets sticky gunk left from stickers and labels off of things too, and is a little less nasty than lighter fluid.

We also use diluted isopropyl alcohol and distilled water with a lint free cloth.

We use 50-50 diluted 99% IPA and a lint-free cloth as well while wearing some latex gloves.

Can I use the lens cleaner I use on my eye glasses? it says it's ok for all lenses and Anti-reflective glass

After looking at the bottle of lens cleaner I have for my glasses, it's basically diluted Alcohol, so yes, you should be able to. But that might get kind of expensive.

After looking at the bottle of lens cleaner I have for my glasses, it's basically diluted Alcohol, so yes, you should be able to. But that might get kind of expensive.

x2

Why use more expensive, glorified alcohol/water dilute when you could just mix a cheap batch up yourself?

... Fingernail Polish remover works great on skin, and the stuff is basically diluted alcohol. ...
I could be wrong, but I suspect you'll find that the active ingredient in fingernail polish remover is acetone, not isopropyl alcohol. Very different solvents.

You're not wrong. Don't think I'd use that on lenses or reflectors.

I do both, Charc. Not sure about fixtures with lens coatings though. I would think 100% alcohol would be fine, but diluted 50/50 would be a safer bet. For 360Q's and the like, undiluted should be fine. Its just glass. Lamps don't need dilution.

By the way, welcome to the 'changed name club'!

PS: This is my 512th post. I should have saved it for a DMX related topic. haha.

Last edited:
I've always used a damp paper towel, no alcohol or cleaners of any kind. It seems to work for me since most of what I'm removing is just simple dust anyways, no need for more. Unless of course you're trying to remove the paint that scenic designer stupidly got all over the fixture when they decided to use a pesticide sprayer to create texture on the walls...

I've always used a damp paper towel, no alcohol or cleaners of any kind. It seems to work for me since most of what I'm removing is just simple dust anyways, no need for more. Unless of course you're trying to remove the paint that scenic designer stupidly got all over the fixture when they decided to use a pesticide sprayer to create texture on the walls...

I've given up trying to get the overspray from the shop's paint sprayer off the bodies of the 4 or so that have it. I just try t make sure that it's always the same lights in the areas they spray every June.

Last edited:
S4 ERS Manual said:
"Isopropyl alcohol, distilled water, or a 50%-50% mixture of each can be used to clean the glass surface."

That's what my school uses. Normally the 50/50 mixture, though alcohol pads and soft wet rags are also good.

Just a funny little story...

I was contracted by the New Jersey Shakespeare Company to do maintainence on their lighting inventory. There were about 80 Altman 360Q's in the batch of gear that needed new shutters, re-wiring, etc. As a part of the job we obviously had to clean the lenses.

My shop at the time was in a pole barn on my property so I brought the lenses into the kitchen of the house and proceeded to load them into the dish washer. My wife remarked, "Won't the heat of the washer cause them to crack?"

Still makes me laugh 25 years later... :)

Just a funny little story...

I was contracted by the New Jersey Shakespeare Company to do maintainence on their lighting inventory. There were about 80 Altman 360Q's in the batch of gear that needed new shutters, re-wiring, etc. As a part of the job we obviously had to clean the lenses.

My shop at the time was in a pole barn on my property so I brought the lenses into the kitchen of the house and proceeded to load them into the dish washer. My wife remarked, "Won't the heat of the washer cause them to crack?"

Still makes me laugh 25 years later... :)

Did they get clean? That's a fantastically blasphemous way to cheat maintenance! I almost want to try that in a couple weeks when maint. starts...

And yes, that's really funny.

My shop at the time was in a pole barn on my property so I brought the lenses into the kitchen of the house and proceeded to load them into the dish washer.

That's how we wash our S4 PAR lenses. Trip through the dishwasher, though usually without soap. I've found just the hot water usually removes the grime. With our inventory, it takes 3-5 loads per venue to get through them all.

Another cleaning thing we've started doing: We have a fairly large inventory, so the "extra" leko barrels get bagged in clear trash bags, and taped closed with the appropriate color-code tape. That way, if we don't end up using those tubes by the next cleaning session, they don't need to be cleaned again.

--Sean

One more "me-too" for 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and distilled water. I always make my own cleaner for camera and telescope lenses and that's the formula. Works on coated optics, should be more than fine for theatre lights.

When cleaner I add a small drop of Dawn or similar dish detergent per pint to break up any fingerprint grease or suchlike. This, again, on the advice of people who play with telescopes and are pretty picky about optics.

Theatre lights are far from as pure as cameras or telescopes and we wouldn't want them to be. They'd never blend with each other if they we're that optically precise. Just plain water should be enough, water and alcohol is even better. Telescope people have invented some crazy witches brews. Google it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back