Cleaning Moving Lights

I am working on an outdoor rig this summer with a ton of movers. They get a lot of sun exposure during the day when they are not covered. Thus some of the cheaper movers with crappy plastic have become to get pretty tacky (sticky). Does any one here know of or use something that cleans such substances off with out harming the instrument? I have goo be gone in mind but if you know of anything better please let me know, it would be much appreciated.

I'd start off with rubbing alcohol. 2 passes with the good 91% stuff takes care of most of the grime on moving lights that I've encountered. After that, I'd go for some Purple Power. And for the few spots that purple power doesn't work on, it's time for some Goof Off. Be very conservative with the fully concentrated Goof-Off though, that stuff is strong and it can eat through various things you don't want it to. Spot-clean as necessary and only after the 91% rubbing alcohol and Purple Power have failed. That's my general procedure for the large rental inventory I'm tasked with cleaning when necessary.

Oh, and for lenses, Brillianize after rubbing alcohol is the winning treatment for perfectly clear lenses.

...Oh, and for lenses, Brillianize after rubbing alcohol is the winning treatment for perfectly clear lenses.
7284-cleaning-moving-lights-brillianizemsds_partial.jpg

Those 0.89% non-H20 ingredients better be really special.;)

... Thus some of the cheaper movers with crappy plastic have become
to get pretty tacky (sticky). ...
The plastic on the housings is actually degrading, or is attracting a foreign substance? Go ahead and name names, as I'm sure the ambient temperature is not higher than the internal temperature of the fixtures.

Attachments

• BrillianizeMSDS_partial.jpg
    BrillianizeMSDS_partial.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 595
Last edited:
Ill be sure to check those out. For movers my rig is running 137 Chauvet Legend 412, 34 ADJ Vizi Beam 5Rs, 18 Robe MMXs, and 15 Chauvet Legend 1200E Spots. The only ones having the plastic attract sticky junk are the Vizi Beams and the Legend 1200E Spots. There is also a lot of haze and fog in the show so I am not sure how much of a role that plays in it.

That. The hottest recorded temperature on earth is 136F/57.8C and 60C head temperature is not unusual...

Just because that's the hottest record temp doesn't mean that the lights aren't getting hotter, things hold heat and can get hotter and hotter as the day progresses. We all see this everyday getting into 140*+ cars after they have been sitting in the sun for even an hour. When you add the lamp into the mix things can get even hotter since the housing is already hot the heat of the lamp has more trouble dissipating. As far as cleaning lighter fluid is another option that is a little milder than goo gone, goof off, etc.

The plastic on the housings is actually degrading, or is attracting a foreign substance?

That's what I was wondering. If the plastic is degrading, not a lot you can do to restore it.

I would contact the mfg. and ask them what to do. If you clean them outside of what the mfg. says and you cause the fixtures to fail you might not get them covered under warranty. Of course, if they're already out of warranty ...

The plastic is not degrading, it is just attracting tons of foreign substances. I have a feeling a lot of the manufacturers would void any type of warranty since we have put them outside when they are not outdoor fixtures haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back