Mixers/Consoles Cleaning sound mixer

Is it safe to use a computer duster to clean a sound mixer? I assume it is but I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks.

Like a compressed air can computer duster? Or a dusting cloth? I would say yes as long as with the compressed air canister as long as you dont shoot any too deep into the board. Cleaning the actual face of the board is good but if having it professionally cleaned especially with analog board is important not doing can allow dirt, dust and many other things to build up on the internal components of the board causing things like flaky faders. So yes computer duster is fine nothing with excessive moisture like spraying it with bleach.

I don't like using canned air for cleaning equipment. It tends to drive crud deep into bad places, like into linear faders. It also condenses moisture from the coldness of the air. A clean, cotton painter's cloth and some Glass Plus or 409 Glass and Surface will do a fine job on the surface dirt. Apply the cleaner to the rag, not so much the equipment.

A vacum is preferred as the chemicals in a standard can of canned air can cause problems with electronics should the can choose to shoot liquid instead of air (as they sometimes do)

You can get cleaners that are electronics safe (Deoxit, as a contact cleaner for connectors comes to mind).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back